In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 vs .30-06

egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
Is a .308 really that much better than the venerable 06? I'm talking about the accuracy. If it is, Why? I was just thinking same bullet with the larger capacity of the 06 case would give you higher velocities , consequently flatter trajectories and less time for wind to act upon the bullet. Just something I was thinking about.

Comments

• Options
    egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I've heard lots of good things about the .30-06, but when it comes down to brass tacks they are quite similar in size.So what makes one better than the other? Give me specifics please, I'm in the middle of possibly reevaluating my choice of calibers.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have now entered the twilight zone. This is an argument that has gone on forever between which of these two calibers is "better" or more accurate. I dont think there is a right or wrong answer on this one.

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the answer is "it depends."
    With the smaller case capacity, it's easier to build up loads that fill up the capacity of the case better (less empty space leads to more consistent and more even distribution of powder within the case, which leads to greater accuracy) without having seriously punishing loads.
  • Options
    mauser_centralmauser_central Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the diffrence between the 30-06 and the .308 is simply. The .308 is 100fps slower , and has and has 172 ft-lbs less of muzzle energy [ both of which is unnoticable ] and it has a shorter case.

Heres some info for you on both ....

.308 1st....
    This cartridge was developed by the Ordnance Dept.
    of the U.S. Army in the 1940's through 50's under the
    name T-65. After extensive testing, it was to become
    the first NATO-adopted standard cartridge, the 7.62mm
    NATO, or 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge.

Winchester requested and received permission to
    introduce the cartridge commercially as the .308
    Winchester. The result has been worldwide
    acceptance in a range of sporting firearms.

The military endeavor was to improve upon the .30-06
    Springfield round, which had been in service since 1906
    (or 1903 if one considers it's real origin as the .30-03).
    The result was a round of substantially less weight and
    size, while retaining the same bore diameter as well as
    only a negligible drop in ballistics (muzzle velocity was
    within 100 fps of the larger round).

The .308 has been neck-sized successfully to a
    variety of commercial calibers. These include the .243
    Winchester, the 7mm-08 Remington and the .358
    Winchester. All are excellent choices for short-action
    rifles, covering a wide-range of applications.
    now the .30-06
    The .30-06 Springfield ("thirty-ought six") is a standard
    bearer with both military and civilian histories. From it's
    roots as the 30-03, it emerged in 1906 to see the U.S.
    through 3 wars. Millions of Americans have depended
    on the .30-06 for their lives.

Successfully used in rifles as varied as the Springfield,
    M-1 Garand, Browning Automatic Rifle, Johnson amd
    others, the .30-06 was effective in the widest variety of
    battlefield conditions. It is still often regarded as the best
    "all-purpose" hunting cartridge (with of course
    "all-purpose" being left up to the reader to judge).

From 1906 to 1954 the 30-06 proved itself a
    tremendously effective small-arms military cartridge and
    versatile hunting round. It's excellent ballistics combined
    with the high-quality of 1903 Springfield surplus actions
    have provided sportsmen exceptional rifles that will
    continue to be useful in the field and only increase in
    value.

hope this helps

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe
    ~ Jesus Christ [Luke 11:21.6]

Mauser Central

MidwayUSA, if your not signed up for the Eblast alerts you are missing some great deals !
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Mauser... Your recent posts are very informative.It would be very appropriate if you would give credit to the source of this info. It appears to be copy/paste. If not , I do apologize.

I am a longtime 30'06 fan, but if I were to purchase a new rifle it would be .308.Accuracy is excellent, and end results are equal. The .308 is also available in a shorter action than than the '06.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    mauser_centralmauser_central Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hangfire,
    it is copy and paste, only because im not a very good typist and i type slow, its just easier for me to do it this way when possible.
    the source is from a program thats no longer available, its the Haa's guide to small arms ammunition that this text comes from. it use to be a free download, now they have a website you can do ammo research on but its much slower...

is this posting method c&p unacceptable or frowned upon? my appologies if so, just trying to help out.

[ edited to add ]
    quote: if I were to purchase a new rifle it would be .308.Accuracy is excellent, and end results are equal.
    i agree with this 100% , the .308 is an outstanding round and I personally prefer it over the 06.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe
    ~ Jesus Christ [Luke 11:21.6]

Mauser Central

MidwayUSA, if your not signed up for the Eblast alerts you are missing some great deals !
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think C&P's are great. I was just suggesting giving credit[however obscure]to the source.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7.62x51mm NATO was though to provide better hand held "Full Auto" control than the 7.62x54mm (30.O6). This was of very limited sucess.I also understand that better/newer powders would work the shorter case. Best, Robert[;)]

"Endurance"<P><br>
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mauser, I really do not care where you get your info as long as it is as accurate as the .308[:D].

My .308 is a lazzeroni/sako warbird and it is faster at 400 yards than a .30-06 at point blank. It has been extremely accurate also.

For a general hunting rifle the caliber you choose is going to be personal preference. I have had a varity of calibers and never found one caliber to be much more accurate than the next. I have found rifles to be more accurate than the next and each model will shoot a particular bullet more accurate than the next identical model.

So in my opinion, find a caliber you like in the rifle you like (as long as it's a Tikka T3 in a .270 wsm)[^].

Mad Dog
  • Options
    MuffinmanMuffinman Member Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:My .308 is a lazzeroni/sako warbird and it is faster at 400 yards than a .30-06 at point blank.

I must have my Physics wrong. How can a .308 be faster then a 30-06 with all things being equal? Same bullet, factory loadings, same length barrels?

Never mind. You could have said it's a .300 7.82 Warbird, Which is a magnum load, Not a .308
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ian,

The easy answer is, No the .308 is NOT more accurate than the 30-06 when all of the variables are controlled. Accuracy is based on the entire system not just a cartridge. The .308 has seen a lot of duty on the firing line for most competitions but the 30-06 is coming back into its own now more frequently on the 1000 yard benchrest circuit and it is no slouch either! Remember that it is the entire system that affects accuracy and the shooter is usually the biggest drawback.

Here is the link for the c & p above:

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?sn=LKnTUKUKmE&catid=92

I'm not sure who wrote this particular synopsis but the garbage about 100 feet per second difference is merely a contrived justification for the smaller cartridge and the military's decision to go with it. It has no bearing in reality unless you choose to reload at this pitiful specification.

There is 12 grains of difference in capacity between the 2 cases. When loaded with 168 gr. Sierra Matchkings the .308 Win. chronographs at about 2800 fps. from my 29" barrel. The 30-06 with the same bullet shows nearly 3050 fps. in the same barrel length. These are not hot loads but rather accuracy loads used in long range target work. The energy difference is more realistically around 400 ft/lbs. No, the deer won't be able to tell the difference between the two but it couldn't tell the difference between a .223 in the ear and the 30 caliber in the ribs either. Dead, as they say, is dead.

When these cartridges are fired at 500 yards, loaded as above, the drop is 53" for the .308 and 44" for the 30-06. These loads by the way are at standard pressures not pushed to the limits of meltdown. The 30-06 may not be the ultimate cartridge for accuracy but it certainly doesn't take a backseat to the .308 Win. either.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and to add to the thread, the 308 wasnt created to be better or more accurate than the 30-06, it was designed to be compatable with nato countries guns and to work in smg's easier. remember, in cold war tactics, each soldier was suppose to kill so many other guys in the numbers game on the battlefront. everyone got full auto rifles. the 308 was pleasently accurate enough to do the deed and it was accepted, but it didnt mean it 'out did' the 30-06. the 30-06 is still a great round. so is the 308. but as you all can see, the theatres are changing yet again and now...the new 308 short copy is actually going to be a better round than both...for the job at hand. personally, i like the 30-06 recoil better than the 308. and fortunatley for the paper targets i shoot, energy isnt an issue. distance is easily fixed with a sight adjustment. i dont need to be knocking out a target at a 1000, so it doesnt matter how hard it hits. besides...thats what 50's are for. see? the right tool for the job is the key.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As always the .308 Win. and 30-06 are a close match till you hit 180 grain bullets the the -06 takes the lead.