In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15 Bolt/carrier ?

Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking about buying a flat top bull barrel for my DPMS so I can do a little long range shooting. Back in the early 80's in the army they said that the bolt/carrier could not be swapped. Is this true with the newer ar15's or must I also buy a bolt/carrier for the new flat top. Does the bolt/carrier need to be "Matched" to the barrel? Also what length barrel would be best for 300-500yrds, AND must I buy a DPMS flat top/barrel or will others fit this weapon. Thanks for the info.

JBoss......Fear No Fish

Comments

• Options
    SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have personnaly 'swapped' bolts and uppers many times, in the military and otherwise, with no ill effects. In the US Army armorors course, the reason given for not interchanging bolt/ carrier groups was because of the fact that military rifles varied so much in how old they were and how many rounds have been put through them. Certain wear patterns may develop in a particular weapon that would degrade the dependability that military arms must have.
  • Options
    magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 4 SP1 uppers and only two bolt/carrier groups. Any combination checks ok with the USGI headspace guage. This is a field gauge and I plan on having one guage shortened to no-go specs for a more accurate test. The good thing about the GI gauge is the reduced dia at the bolt which allows checking headspace without disassembling the bolt.

mag