In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kel-Tec P3AT

Beretta 92Beretta 92 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if anyone had experience with Kel-Tec's P3AT 380ACP? I'm looking for a good pocket gun as a back up to my conceled carry gun which is a Glock 32 357sig. Any opinions or other sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Beretta 92Beretta 92 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone else having problems with the magazine releasing during firing? My guns accuracy is great but I'm about ready to unload it. Confidence is key ! The way I normally grip a weapon is causing the release to hit my thumb during firing which releases the mag so no follow up shot 3-4 times out of 10 . I really have to try to change my normal grip and concentrate on a very firm grip holding my thumb high which is awkward. 2 of my friends experienced the same thing firing this weapon. The release I think could be stiffer.My opinion but its not. I emailed KEL-TEC and all they said was change my grip. Anyone else having problems?
  • Options
    ndeltagunsndeltaguns Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very happy with my Kel Tec. Have had no problems with it at all.
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not familiar with the P3A3, but speaking of Kel Tecs in general until someone else comes along..I have a P11. I was looking for a small pocket gun when I bought it, and it isn't TOO big, but I don't like it much. I like positive safeties in my pocket, it doesn't have one. It DOES have a hard trigger pull. I've found that if I use the ball of my finger to fire it, it will eventually fire. If I get the trigger in the crook of my finger as I like, I run out of pull before I run out of trigger. I hope I'm making sense, it's hard to explain. Anyway, I don't like it, don't trust it, don't carry it. It ends up sitting on my computer desk while I carry my Beretta cougar, which has everything I want except the small size and weight, and I can live with that.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my Kel-Tec .380, small, flat, light, traded in my K-T .32 for it. Quite heavy on the slide pull-back to chamber a round. True it has no safety, like a Glock. Unlike a Glock it won't fire easily unintentionally or by a small child due to its long and heavy DAO trigger. Haven't fired mine much but reliability is good from reports I have seen.
  • Options
    vikingsfaninmivikingsfaninmi Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had many problems with mine feeding and ejecting. Sent it back to Kel-Tec. Works fine now, as long as I keep it clean. 580 rounds through it and counting. Great to carry.
  • Options
    KhegglieKhegglie Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The P3AT is small, light, easy to carry one or two at a time!

There are many pocket holsters avail. for it now.
  • Options
    The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a P3AT in a Disantis pocket holster. Very thin, light and since it is a pocket pistol, goes with me everywhere. I used to carry a .40 S&W either on a shoulder rig or a hip paddle, but found that I was leaving it behind on those "short trips." Was real easy to talk myself out of carrying it (Getting lazy??). With the Kel-Tec, it stays in my jacket pocket so I don't have to think about how I am going to "pack it."
    It has around 500 rounds through it, and has on occasion FTE. I don't expect to win any gun battles with it, but I know that the first trigger-pull is gonna go BANG. LOL, any other shots might be a bonus, but still, it's a trade-off. As long as you are not LEO, it's OK for personal protection.
    Some will argue that if it won't go BANG first time, every time, it ain't worth it, and I can see where they are coming from, but I thought about it really hard---"Will I pack my HK everywhere I go?, and I found that the answer was "no." In the interest of "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it," I find the P3AT to fill the bill well.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a picture of my three Kel-Tecs.Top one is a P-11 Stainless,no longer made. left is the 3PAT and on the right is a P-32.They're Great little guns.These go bang every time you pull the trigger or I wouldn't own them.[^]

standard.jpg

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got one and like it very much. It conceals well in the front pants pocket in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. It has the single strike, Glock action and not too bad a trigger pull. Some work was needed on the extractor, polishing of the feed ramp and chamber to make it 100% reliable. Keltec has designed a new extractor that is supposed to cure the FTE problem.
    A P11 9mm bought early this year has the 357SIG kit, night sights and a belt clip. I carry that in a Fobus paddle holster. This is a true double action having multi strike capability. The pull is a bear that needs a lot of practice to keep on target. This is a serious hand cannon.