In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger stainless steel

HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just finished mounting a scope on my super blackhawk hunter 41 mag. The first thing I noticed was the torx head bolts clinging to the t-handle torx key when I was removing the top half of the rings. Then I lifted the top half of the ring off with the torx key. When I finished I was messing around and found out the torx key was also attracted to the cylinder and barrell as well. Does Ruger really use that low of a grade of stainless steel for their guns or what?

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "OR WHAT" WHAT?? WHAT IS YOUR QUESTION??

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are many, many grades of stainless steel. All stainless steels are not rustproof, just different levels rust resistant. Also all stainless steels are not magnetic, in fact most of them are magnetic. The steel that Ruger uses is what they have found to be the best mix of strength and rust resistance for firearms. I have yet to see a severely blown-up Ruger, have seen some bulge and crack, but none that grenaded.

Try the magnet test on any other stainless that you come across. Most times you will find it stick.

ruger2.jpg

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Hunt,

I don't really think Ruger uses cheap stainless.

Stainless is a generic name for many types of steel and basically has these components: carbon, manganese, phosphorus, sulfur, silicon, chromium, and nickel. The type of stainless depends upon the percentage of each of the above components. To be a stainless steel it must contain 10.5% chromium.

The chromium is what gives the stainless its corrosion resistance properties. In general, the higher the proportion of chromium, the stronger the corrosion resistance. Nickel is used to strengthen the the chrome oxide layer that forms on the surface of stainless.

Chrome is magnetic but the nickel modifies the phsyical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic. Therefore, it is the nickel that would make the stainless non-magnetic. It is the properties of carbon though that can give stainless its strength like carbon steel. Most stainless is magnetic.

Whether the stainless is magnetic or not really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the steel, rather it has to do with the property of the steel for its intended purpose.

Therefore, the Ruger metal is designed to be very strong but not as corrosion resistant as other types of stainless.

The Ruger pistol is one of the strongest, toughest, over-designed and over-built weapons that is manufactured. Sometimes the finish doesn't look the best, but they are rugged.

Regards,

Heavyiron[8D]

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    When you say magnetic, I assume you mean a magnet will stick to it, cause all metal is affected by magnets, try some taking metal that ins't "magnetic" and swinging it past 2 magnets, like a pendulum swinging with a set of magnets at the base, or sliding a magnet down a non-"magnetic" hollow pole, youll find that the magnet slows down alot as it passes, metal crossing a magnet will generate forces nad electirc current.
    I beleive what you mean by non-magnetic is what is refered to as "dia-magnetict", with the other classes being para-magnetic and ferro magnetic.
    -made under the influence, please forgive logic and spelling problems

Take my post number, divide it by 2, and thats how many sober posts I've made.
    California's laws really suck.
    The Brady Campaign, the Million Mom March, and Mothers Against Drunk Driving, can all go suck a big fat *cough* male chicken *cough*
  • Options
    HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. The only stainless that I'm around anymore is chute liners in the power plants,and the use of it there is almost non-existant anymore bacause the electro-magnets won't pick it up before it makes it to the crushers and pulverizers. Thats why I was surprised when the torx key was clinging to the gun.