In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Remington Rifle

muchow0123muchow0123 Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering how dependable and accurate the remington 700 series rifles are? Either in the 300 ultra mag, 7mm, or 300 Win. mag. In anyones opinion which is the most accurate fairly priced bullet/rifle combo? Any help will be appriciated.

Comments

• Options
    MattyTibbsMattyTibbs Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 700 Remington is nice for anyone who likes bolt. If you wanted accuracy, get a 700 Remington in a .308, or a 7MM-08. You won't be let down.

dwlu8
    dwlt4

It's not war untill someone breaks out the .50 calibers.
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem 700 action is very dependable and can be very accurate. Most high end sniper rifles such as the M24-SWS are built off the 700 action, not to mention countness other companies that build their long range weapon off this action as well. If you are looking for a tactical rifle, the Rem 700 PSS is around 750.00 to 800.00, which is available in .223, 308, 300 win, and now 300 Ultra. Or you can jump up to the 40X Tactical rifle which is another Rem 700 that goes through their custom shop but cost about 1900.00+ Or you can always go custom which is big $$$

Now as for ammo. Just really depends on the range you intend to shoot and what type of shooting. Hunting or tactical/long range target shooting. Why not 308? 175gn sierra match king will get out to a 1000 yards, but the 300 win will get out there with more authority. The bigger the bullet, the more money it cost. If you are just going to shoot paper at a 1000 and under go 308 or 300 win mag. Just my 2 nickles. [:D]
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I for one really like the 700's. In most cases the gun is more accurate then the shooter.Plus there are so many accessories you can add on.I have one in 7mm rem mag, and a box of bullets run about 20.00 for 20rds not cheap (to me) but I use this for hunting deer I have others for plinking. If you really want to shoot 1000yds you might think about reloading. Like ContacFront it determines how much do you plan to spend and what will it manly be for? And make sure you budget for a good piece of glass to mount on it. So what will really help in suggesting a rifle that fits you needs best tell us this your budget, what is the main purpose,if hunting what type of terrain is it or just a long range setup?

I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my m70 super shadow in 270wsm shoots less than 1" groups off a sand bag using 150gr federal ballistic tips. it's lite and i really loike it.quote:Originally posted by muchow0123
    I was wondering how dependable and accurate the remington 700 series rifles are? Either in the 300 ultra mag, 7mm, or 300 Win. mag. In anyones opinion which is the most accurate fairly priced bullet/rifle combo? Any help will be appriciated.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GREAT GUN. EITHER ONE WILL WORK FOR YOU.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the caliber you have choosen I would recommend the 7mm in a Tikka T3 or a Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500 (same thing). The Tikka is a GREAT rifle with the best accuracy guarantee (less than a 1"moa with factory ammo). The vanguard is less money and only a slight less guarantee (1.5" moa).

I have had several remington 700's and none has ever impressed me. They are fair rifles but not exceptional. The feel and accuracy of the Tikka T3 is amazing. The Vanguard I would say is slightly better than the Remington but much less money. Mine shot .5 moa with factory ammo right out of the box.

The 7mm caliber has a variety of bullet choices and tends to be less expensive for ammo then the .300 Ultra. The 300 win mag is a slower caliber but also gives you a variety of bullet choices.

A good caliber to look at if you want power is the 7mm ultra mag. Tends to be accurate but it comes hot from the factory and it is hard to improve with handloads. If you look around you can get them closed out in the Sako 75 series (excellent rifle) for $600-$700.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    muchow0123muchow0123 Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My budget would be around $400, and I would use it to hunt white tail deer or elk. I would like a good accurate rifle that could shoot about 350 to 400 yard max and still keep about 2200fps. Thanks for the suggestion so far guys, any rifle ideas would help.
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm at 400 yards using a 150 grain Scirocco or Accutip bullet will be at least 2415 fps and over 2200 at 500 yards.

If you are looking for a new rifle in that price you should be looking at the Wby vanguard/Howa 1500 or a Savage.

If you are looking at a used rifle than you should be able to find an older Rem 700.

There is also the 300 weatherby mag in a Vanguard. Ammo will be more but it will be fast an accurate.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    zack2746zack2746 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 700 is a great rifle, my grandfather has a 700 bdl 30-06 that is in excess of 25yrs. old and still shoots awesome. I believe the remington has a little more recoil than other rifles, but is a very reliable and good gun for any hunting situation.

zackwright
  • Options
    HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem. 700 great rifle. I have one in .308win 700vs. Its groups are less than 1" @ 100m with 180gr and less than .65 w/150gr. Thats even with ammo thats $13.00 a box.

Now as far as which round you want, you will get alot of different opinions about that. But I will tell you this, the current record aside from the .50 at 1,000yds is the good old faithful .308win [:D]

"There are those who make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that say, what happend?"

AC Tactical
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    muchow,

The Remington 700 is very dependable and reasonably accurate right out of the box. Please remember though, accuracy is determined by several factors, the biggest one being the shooter. Most of the comments made are good assessments of the Remington and the cartridges that you are considering.

My input is that the 300 Rem. Ultra Mag. is at the top end of power and recoil and some folks just can't get comfortable with it to be assured of the accuracy required for a quick, humane kill at any yardage. See if you can test shoot one at the range or borrow one from a friend before investing in something that you eventually will trade in. It is a great cartridge and will do just about anything that you you can ask from it within obvious parameters. I hunt with a couple different variations of the 300 RUM and shoot one in long range target.

The 7mm Rem. Mag. or the 300 Win. Mag. are superb choices for the type of hunting that you specify. Both have the power, bullet selection (commercial loads or handloads) and potential for most hunting needs in North America. The 300 WM goes without saying since it has an established reputation for accuracy in many of the long range target competitions and the American hunting fields. The 7mm Rem. Mag. has always been popular and readily available to the American shooter and is seeing an ever increasing number of new and improved bullets being released for handloading. Both of these cartridges will serve you well.

The Rem. 700 has the most versatility from aftermarket parts but a hunting gun is a hunting gun and one of the various Savage models or the Howa 1500, as pointed out, will function nicely in your price range. I have heard that Wal-mart is selling off some of their rifle stock at very reasonable prices. The prices quoted would make it very worthwhile to make a quick stop and check them out. The mantra that most of us continue to put forth though is to get a good scope to go along with your rifle. If the $400.00 is to include the scope, you will need to rethink this and look for something later when you can afford to start out right. Buying junk never works.

As an aside to the comment regarding the record 1000 yard cartridge, here is an article worth reading. I know that there are several competition venues and this is just one of them and the 308 Win. may yet still hold one of the current records. I know that it does in the Palma competitions.

Best of the Best: 1000-yard Record Dasher
    Richard Schatz Sets a New World-Record Light Gun Aggregate

"On June 26-27, in Byers, Colorado, Richard Schatz steered his diminutive 11-pound 6mm Dasher to a new 6-target NBRSA 1000-yard Light Gun World Record. His 6.125" aggregate eclipsed (by 3/4") the previous record set by Tim North (Broughton Rifle Barrels) in September 2003, also in Byers."

http://www.6mmbr.com/schatz1000.html

Best of luck!
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    In that price range I to would look at Savage.

I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.