In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

how much $ is a hk mp 5 ?

northern militianorthern militia Member Posts: 552 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
i can't find a ballpark price on a mp 5 with a full buttstock, i think they are like $2k+-. here is another question are they worth it? nobody i know has ever shot one, i have held one many years ago, but never shot it.

first rule of northern militia is that we don't talk about northern militia.

Comments

• Options
    hatchettmanhatchettman Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Full auto MP5 is about $7500.00 to $9000.00 plus tax stamp. all full auto H&Ks are worth it, what a weapon!!!!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    You are way off! Try around $8,000 to $10,000 and you'll be in the ball park. There are restricted dealer sales samples sold in the $2000 range but you need to be a Class 3 dealer with a police demo letter to purchase them and you cannot keep them when you give up your license. There are also unrestricted dealer sales sample which need no letter and are "keepers" but you'll still need to be a Class 3 dealer and these weapons are not much less expensive than a transferable MP-5 since they can be retained by dealers. An ACTUAL MP-5 (not a conversion) is a very rare weapon in the United States since very few were imported prior to 1968 and would command a huge premium over the price of a conversion. What you will end up purchasing is a commercial HK-94 which has been converted using either a registered sear or by modifying the receiver. I've owned several MP-5 variations (though never the silenced SD model) over the years when I was an HK LE dealer and they are great SMGs, a little heavy, but handle well and are very acurate due to their closed bolt operation. I'd gladly pay the $2000 cost of a restricted sales sample if I could KEEP THE GUN, but I have way too may other ways to spend the cost of a transferable MP-5.

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    northern militianorthern militia Member Posts: 552 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys. wow they are expensive for full auto. i don't know that is why i'm asking do they come in semi auto for regular people? or is my mp5 dream a pipe dream.

first rule of northern militia is that we don't talk about northern militia.
  • Options
    hatchettmanhatchettman Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they make a semi-auto version for about $3500.00 !!!!
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have read really good things about this company http://www.bobcatweapons.com/. Also try doing a search on GB there are lots for sale. I belive you can get the Special Weapons ones for just over a $1000 but I have heard mixed reviews. Then the real HK 94 (semi Mp5) seems to run in the $3000-$4000 range.

John
  • Options
    MeanieMeanie Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you do a look in the nfa section of gunbroker there is a seller with a few bobcatweapons mp5 SBR clones (semi auto) up for $1,500, thats for the regular stock(non colapsable) with an 8.5" 3 lug barrel. Cheap enough, and you can put a silencer on it too [:)]
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    I thought some sold for like 15K, is that NIB or am i just drunk?

Take my post number, divide it by 2, and thats how many sober posts I've made.
    California's laws really suck.
    The Brady Campaign, the Million Mom March, and Mothers Against Drunk Driving, can all go suck a big fat *cough* male chicken *cough*
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    An ACTUAL MP-5 (not a conversion) is a very rare weapon in the United States since very few were imported prior to 1968 and would command a huge premium over the price of a conversion.

Typo -- it looks like Mark got the numbers transposed -- I'm sure he meant for that "1968" to be 1986.

(Both 1968 and 1986 were very bad years for firearm rights...)

"Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness." -- H.G. Wells (The Time Machine)
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In December 1968 the ammnesty granted under the Gun Control Act of the same year came to a close. Part of Title II of the GCA was the prohibition on the further importation of any National Firearms Act weapons (such as machineguns) for registration to private individuals. If a weapon was not in this country and registered at that time it could not be imported or registered after the close of the ammnesty. Since the HK-54 (later to become the MP-5) did not enter series production until 1966 this left a window of less than three years for these firearms to be privately or commercially imported into the United States. Nearly the entire first production run by HK was dedicated to filling oders for the German Federal Police and Border Gaurds so few if any of these sub machineguns were relaesed for commercial sales, although a few were obtained for testing, through gifts and some methods best left undiscussed (which is also why so many M16 and M14 service rifles marked US PROPERTY were registered during the same ammnesty). The net result is that there were only a handful of transferable HK-54/MP-5 submachineguns in this country at the end of 1968 and why they are so rare and command big dollars (big even for machineguns). This is the same reason that a real AK-47 will bring many times the money of a semi automatic AK rifle converted to selective fire, there were very few AKs imported into the United States prior to 1968 and nearly all of those came from Viet Nam as war trophies. Ever see the asking price on a true transferable Soviet made AK-47? That kind of money would make a nice down payment on a home!

After 1968 a mechanisim existed within the Gun Control Act to allow dealers to obtain demonstration NFA firearms (including machineguns) for possible sales to PDs and other agencies. All of these Pre May dealer sample machineguns are not transferable to individuals but may be retained by dealers when we give up our licenses, this is why the pre May dealer samples are nearly as expensive as transferables...they are "keepers". In May of 1986 this regulation was ammended and after 19 May all such machineguns imported or manufacturered became restricted sales samples and these post May machineguns need a letter from a bonifide LE agency requesting a demostration of that particular machinegun. No post May restricted sales sample machineguns can be retained by dealers when we give up our licenses, they must be sold to another dealer with a demo letter, exported, sold or given away to an LE agency (who love to get freebies...and dealers love to take a tax deduction for the MGs value as a donation) of surrendered to the BATFE. We can't keep them. 99.9% of the tanferable MP-5s on the retail MG market are converted semi automatic HK-94 carbines and not actual MP-5 sub machineguns. The cut of date for all machinegun registrations was 19 May, 1986 and no additional conversions could be preformed for transfer to individuals after that date unless they involved the use of a registered sear which had also been registered before 19 May. Anyone still want to beleive that I transposed my numbers and confussed 1968 with 1986??? I either know what I am talking about or I don't bother to post on a topic.

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Again, you simply bowl me over with you knowledge Mark!

Thanks for the clarification!

"Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness." -- H.G. Wells (The Time Machine)