In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Carrying a hi-cap 1911

Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking about getting a P-14 .45 for carry. Anyone else carry on a regular basis a hi-cap or double stack 1911? Hows concealment? Weight?

Is it worth the bulk and weight for extra capacity?

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good pistol ... but I think you'll get tired of the weight. And they will present more of a pattern than the smaller pistols. In warmer climates or settings the larger pistol can be a problem to conceal.

Before you lay out your money be sure of what you will tolerate, after all if you carry it for a while then tire of that you've created a fairly significant, and avoidable, expense for yourself.

9407288-Ti.jpg

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have a p-16, which is the same frame and slide you have. Its a big gun.... You have better get a new belt to hold up the weight and be a big boy to hope to conceal it. Loaded it weighs as much as a 8 3/8" 44 magnum. Good gun.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello please don't take this the wrong way but if you have not hit what you need to shoot at in 7 shots haveing a high Cap. pistol won't make much differance it's time to get out of Dodge.I have never been and hope I never will be in a gun fight but the only time I ever wanted more ammo was when LBJ gave me a paid vacation for 1 year in 1965 far east. quote:"PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I agree with the other posts. I have a P-14 that I LIKE and it is heavy. I havent really carried it much because of that. When I do it is arround the ranch when I have on a heavy belt. But if you really must, and I know why you must, I have another solution for you. Look at a Kimber "polymer stainless", that is what they are called. I pick one up as a good deal, cause it was cool, I now carry it most of the time. I have heard there is 2 different ones, a new one and an old one. I have heard that most people dont like the new one comparied to the old one due to the grip. Mine is the old model, and I LOVE it. Here is why it is unbeliveablely accurate, it has a straight back recoil (vs. muzzle climb), the trigger is awsome, it weighs quite a bit less then the P-14, and the grip is slimer (you can reach the controls). I would say that empty is weighs about as much as my loaded G17, but it isnt bad. I am 6'2" 200lb and I carry it under a 3/4 zip pullover sweater most of the time.

John
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will 2nd Perryshooters comment here. Round accountability is extremely important when it comes to use of deadly force. If you dump 7 or 8 rounds out of your 1911 and your threat is not down. It's time to E&E. I would NEVER stand there and try to dump 14+1 rounds down range and give my enemy time to shoot back at me. (Think about how long it would take you to dump 14 rounds on target)

Also for conceal carry the P-14 is huge. Unless you live in a state where it is always cold and you have a lot of bulky clothes on you may print.

Weight. P-14 is 40oz, almost the same weight of a full size 1911. But now you have 14 rounds of 230gn loaded. Also you are going to need to carry at least 1 spare magazine of another 14 rounds of 230gn. That is a WHOLE lot of weight to carry all day.
  • Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much, all are excellent points. I think 7 rounds of .45 is plenty, but have been attracted to the double stack because of the wider grip for my large hands. Living in rain soaked Washington concealment isn't an issue because bulky clothes are the norm.

I look at extra capacity like I do trucks, guns, and *ahem*, other things. [:D] Bigger is almost always better.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are very welcome Mr.

Well if bigger is always better. The is the GI 50 cal out now in a 1911 format. [:D]
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you got an STI or an SVI framed gun (grip are is composite, slide rail area is steel) and didn't load it too full capacity, it would weigh less than a standard 1911. If you wanted one even lighter, I believe they make aluminum and titanium upper sections too. Food for thought.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I built a carry gun several years ago using a Para-Ordinance aluminum frame and a Colt 70 series slide. Even with the lighter frame, it is too heavy for every day concealed carry. With a double mag pouch, 2-14 round mags and 15 in the gun of 230 gr ball or hps it is a lot of weight with anything short of a duty belt rig. I use a Kimber CDP-Pro or even better is my Glock 30 with 2 extra 10 round mags. I do enjoy shooting the Para-Ordinance. It fits my hand better than the single stack 1911s.
  • Options
    snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a springfield that takes the double stack mag
    if carried properly it won't print much
    look for a high carry with a FBI cant
    (heal of the butt in a vertical line with the muzzel while worn)
    carried just behind the mid-line of the hip

I have to admit I am a large man (6'2" 300 lbs)
    but i carry a 1911a1 all the time and most people never notice
    I live in a warm climite (texas)
    but I have concealed mine wearing a t-shirt and jeans
    just buy the shirt a size larger than normal so it hangs loose over the gun.
    then pratice not walking around the gun so you don't draw attension to what you are trying to conceal

shot placement is important when you use it but it sure is a kick to have the extra rounds if needed

Lt. snarlgard RRG
    SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO[}:)]
    fcb9874f.jpg.thumb.jpgfc21ef6c.gif
  • Options
    snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a springfield that takes the double stack mag
    if carried properly it won't print much
    look for a high carry with a FBI cant
    (heal of the butt in a vertical line with the muzzel while worn)
    carried just behind the mid-line of the hip

I have to admit I am a large man (6'2" 300 lbs)
    but i carry a 1911a1 all the time and most people never notice
    I live in a warm climite (texas)
    but I have concealed mine wearing a t-shirt and jeans
    just buy the shirt a size larger than normal so it hangs loose over the gun.
    then pratice not walking around the gun so you don't draw attension to what you are trying to conceal

shot placement is important when you use it but it sure is a kick to have the extra rounds if needed

Lt. snarlgard RRG
    SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO[}:)]
    fcb9874f.jpg.thumb.jpgfc21ef6c.gif