In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lubricants

flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am out of the hoppes oil I usually use, and all I've got is G96 all purpose silicon spray. I've already cleaned with No. 9, so, will this be OK to use??

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get you some rem-oil. works great.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the best,Break-Free.[^]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good alternative that I use is ZEP45. Works great and even smells like Hoppe's. You can pick up a can at a good hardware store, most automotive stores, or an industrial supply house. Not cheap, but is very, very good.

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    For lubricating metal to metal contacts, nearly forty years ago a Drill Instructor provided us recruits with Lubriplate. I havn't been looking for anything else because it worked as good as I needed.
  • Options
    HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with ATF, Break Free is the absolute best lube for firearms, I very seldom use anything else. It works great while its wet but get this, it works even better when its dry. Pretty awsome huh!!!

"There are those who make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that say, what happend?"

AC Tactical
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Break Free is a good lube, used it for years and still do on some guns. But for harsh conditions and hard use, Militec-1 has worked a whole lot better for me. I have been using it for over 2 years now with great results.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I switched from Rem-Oil to Break Free and won't be goin' back.[^]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    Patriots49Patriots49 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a couple of different oils for my guns. They Castrol Gun Oil and Shooters Choice FP-10 Lubricant Elite. Very easy to use with out the spray can mess you get sometimes.

"You cannot conquer America." -William Pitt, 1777
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I'm a long time user of Break-Free/CLP and have found nothing better, but there are a few points you should be aware of.

US military issue CLP (Cleaner-Lubricant-Preservative), known as the D-5 formula, isn't the same as what you buy in your local gunshop. In fact, there are actually two different formulations of this stuff used by our armed forces, one of which is manufactured by Royco and the other by BreakFree (SAN-BAR). The Royco formula, used by the Army, contains 40% solvent while that made by Break-Free, used by the Air Force and Navy, contains a 20% solvent mixture.

The civilian version of Break-Free, known as the E-formula, contains only 12% solvent. Because of this I don't view Break-Free as a cleaner, only a lube and preservative.

I first clean using Hoppes 9 and Gun Scrubber, then soak things down with Break-Free. After the 4 hr. recommended curing time I wipe off the excess and reassemble.

Further info on the different Break-Free/CLP formulations can be found here:
    http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/clpinformation.msnw
  • Options
    RECREC Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone used Ballistol lubericant? I've never used it but have heard a lot of positve comments.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello BALISTOL is great stuff the thing I like is it does not hurt wood plastic or leather it is non toxic bio degradeable been useing for years.
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    I yhought the question was " Is it ok to use silicon spray as a lube"
    I would say yes but not for storage.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Any oil is better than none, and I use silicon grease on some slides of semi autos with good results. So far as general lubrication goes, I use Rem Oil and sometimes just good SAE 30 motor oil for a final wipe down.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use your G96 until you can get more fit for purpose lubricant, then clean and re-lube.

Don't put off resupplying because you used the Silicon spray. Think of it as a stop gap.

Of the lubes mentioned above all are good and for the most part it is just a matter of preference. Any/all used properly and regularly will serve you just fine.

9407288-Ti.jpg

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!