In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lead bullets in glock urgent

mastershooter357mastershooter357 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I read here that you shouldnt use cast bullets in glock pistols. Can anyone tell me why?Im afraid that i have been, in ignorance but didnt have any problem with them.HELP

mastershooter357

Comments

• Options
    SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have used cast bullets in mine and never experienced a problem, makes a helluva mess in the barrel if you shoot alot though.
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leading of the barrel is the problem, unless your using a compensated model which is an absolute no-no w/ lead bullets.

When I was competing with a Model 17 I bought a 3rd party barrel that had standard rifling and that's what I used for practice.

However with the low cost of jacketed 9mm now, I quit reloading 'em, then I moved to 40 cal. a little while back so now I'm crankin' them out.

Getting the lead out of the barrels can be a royal pain in the *, so if your planning on shooting a lot, consider getting yourself a practice barrel.

9407288-Ti.jpg

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    mastershooter357mastershooter357 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So... the problem is excessive leading. I guess glock is litagation shy. I guess if you let it build up enough, pressures would rise.Do i have this right or is there some danger here that im not seeing

mastershooter357
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mastershooter357,

You are correct. Using lead bullets in a Glock will build up presure do to the leading. Glocks and HK pistols have the same octagon type of rifling and they just don't go well with lead bullets. Specially the 9mm due to the higher velocity it will leave more lead in the rifling.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mastershooter357,

Here is an illustration of the polygonal rifling used in the Glock and an actual photo of a lead filled Glock barrel.

132551.gif

218047.jpg

I didn't put the advertisement in the photo, it was imbedded at the previous site. If it's a problem, I'll delete the photo.
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That form of rifling was one of the most popular during the lead bullet era. If there is a problem with leading, it is because of not using a lubricant designed for high speed or too soft an alloy.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Glock is definitely litigation shy due to their having had more lawsuits filed against them than just about all other modern handgun maufacturers combined. Some of these stem from the infamous "kabooms", where their pistols have suffered major structural failures. The cause of these remains a hotly debated issue, but in many of these cases Glock blames pressure spikes due to lead buildup in the polygonal barrel.

Many people replace their factory barrel with a traditionally rifled type that, unlike the factory unit, has a fully supported chamber. It's a drop-in solution that alleviates both problem issues people have experienced with Glock barrels.
  • Options
    tlentlen Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read this then ask your self why you bought a Glock if you wanted to shoot lead bullets. I sold my G23 and bought a S&W SW99.
    [url="http://"]http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb.html#which[/url]
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    I shoot copper coated bullets in my glock 21 for about 5 yrs now. The copper coated bullets do not lead the barrel at all. Just load medium volocity loads and you should be fine. Watch your brass for any buldging in front of the case rim as the glock pistols have a slightly open lower lip on the barrel breech/feed ramp to aid in function. The slightly open feed ramp does not support the case on the bottom.

It's All Crapola!!!
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you shoot unjacketed bullets through a Glock anyway? Most commercially available ammo for any caliber Glock is jacketed. Aside from reloaders who cast their own bullets, it seems to me you'd have to go out of your way to try to lead up your barrel.

"Every child had a pretty good shot,
    To get at least as far as their old man got,
    But something happened on the way to that place,
    They threw an American flag in our face."
    -Billy Joel, "Allentown"
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Cost is one reason to shoot copper coated lead bullets. I can reload 50 cc rounds for less than half of what it costs to buy new!. The cc lead can be driven as fast as a jacketed bullet with no leading as the copper is the jacket and it does not strip off going down the bore. I never load them to max and they are for target only.Just check your bore to see if it needs cleaned and shoot away.

It's All Crapola!!!