In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help with range estimation feature

ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
The new leupold VX-III scopes with the wide duplex have a "range estimating" feature. The bottom post has a cutout that you center on a 16'' target and then zoom in on until the target then fills the cutout--numbers on the back of the zoom ring then estimate your range for you.

Has anyone tried this system???? If so, how did it work. More importantly, for me at least, is this: If you went through the same process with an 8 inch target, would you be able to estimate your range by doubling the range given for a 16 inch target???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The system I use has 18" circles at the various ranges, but the princaple is similar.
    The biggest drawback is the users ability to "set the space" to match the target. Yes, doing it with a 8" (2x range), 12" (1.5x range), target will work the same as long as you remember the proper multiplier, just remember that the error will increase also.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.