In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

are hi-ponit pistols any good?

kershy01kershy01 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
Im thinking about buying one. people have told me that they are junk.

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    You have no idea what you just stepped in. But the aroma is brewing, and the experts are looming.

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • Options
    badwrenchbadwrench Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad had one. When he passed away, I inherited all the guns. I passed that one on to my mom. It seems servicable enough. I fired it and it was okay. Accuracy not up to my standards and I'm not a fan of the 9-mike.

Just remenber, price is often a reflection of quality.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    You can do better. Take a look at a surplus Bulgarian Makarov or Hungarian PA-63 pistol in 9mm Makarov caliber. These are solid well built handguns which will give years of service with few problems. Hi-Points manage to shoot...but that is the best I can say about them.

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    badwrenchbadwrench Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, for the price, a MAkarov is hard to beat. I've seen them under $100. For around fifty bucks, you can get a .380 conversion barrel (I like the threaded one![}:)])
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    =) If the weapon is for self defence, how much is your life worth? Also if it is for target shooting, what size group do you want to be able to shoot?

You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The general consensus here is that they make darn good paperweights. Put "point" into the forum search and you will find this topic has been covered many times.

Cheap guns serve their purposes, reliable and accurate shooting are not among them.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    PhilSchreinPhilSchrein Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had two at one point (they were given to me by my brother when he became disinterested in shooting)a .380 and a 9mm. One is sleeping with the fishes about 2mi off of Avon Point in Lake Erie. The other I took to work to section, polish and examined (I am a metallurgist \ shooting nut). Really crappy metal. Tons of impurities, inclusions, and it seemed like there was as much sulfur as there was carbon in the section I analyzed. In all, it is a all-cast gun made from pot-metal and rejected scrap from wherever it was cheapest to get it from at the time it was made. Reminded me allot of Bessemer steel from the turn of the century, actually.[:)]
    Other than that, I think they are simply wonderful.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:(they were given to me by my brother when he became disinterested in shooting)

See what they do to people? Take the others advice and hunt down a mak! You don't want to become disinterested do you?

thliar1.gif You are knuckle-dragging ape with a gun.
  • Options
    ClarentaviousClarentavious Member Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would reckon their price is a good reflection of their quality
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Low selling cost = low cost parts and labor = product of limited life and dependability.

Save up a couple more dollars and buy something else.

9407288-Ti.jpg

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    pinshooter13pinshooter13 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some people can afford $900.00 Kimbers, others go with the $400.00
    Charles Daly. If you can only afford a $100.00 Hi Point, I would suggest you save your money and buy a BASEBALL BAT! It's more relaible and when carrying it, most people won't mess with you when they see it, so it's a better visual deterrant.

Dillon XL650 "Crank & Shoot"
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makarov, Star BM, PA-63, all are more reliable, and more accurate. Cost about the same. On the plus side, Hi-Points have a lifetime warranty, and a rep for good customer service. All those surplus pistols have zero. So, for plinking, OK, get a Hi-Point. Get one of the others to keep under your pillow for things that go bump in the night.

For home defense, don't neglect revolvers. A cheap l'il .38 Spec. can make all the difference.

"Every child had a pretty good shot,
    To get at least as far as their old man got,
    But something happened on the way to that place,
    They threw an American flag in our face."
    -Billy Joel, "Allentown"