In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Howa barrel thread size?

bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I would like to rebarrel a Howa 30-06 to 338-06 but don't know what the thread size is for Howa actions, Does any one know?

Comments

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The thread size is. thread pitch. 1.5 mm the major diameter of the thread shank is 26mm. 17 threads/inch will work if you cannot cut metric. I have rebarreled several of the Howa, they are a good action to work with. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Geri,

Unfortunately my lathe can't cut 17 TPI, I'll stick with American or Mauser actions for my hobby rebarreling unless I can find aa affordable metric conversion gear set for my old Craftsman (Atlas) lathe. I could have bought one from Sears at one time but didn't see the point in it.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi. The old atlas that I used to have,had enough gears so I could cut 17 threads/inch. Used it to barrel a couple of Jap. 99s. Olso I forgot to mention they use a 55 degree cut instead of 60 degree. Good luck.
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bundy, is your lathe equipped with a quick change gear box or does it use individual gears?
    OleDuk[:)][:)]

"Disperse you Rebels; Damn you,throw down your arms and disperse!"
    British Major John Pitcairn, April 19, 1775. He fell at Bunker Hill two months later.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi OleDuk,

My lathe has the quick change gear box. I need extra gears to cut any thread that's not in the gear box. I think I have found one on Ebay.
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, old man, my lathe , an old Logan, has change gears and it is not hard to set it up for metric threads. I would have sent a gear train set-up sketch that cuts metrics on my machine which perhaps you could have adpted to yours.
    Good Luck,
    OleDuk[:)][:)]

"Disperse you Rebels; Damn you,throw down your arms and disperse!"
    British Major John Pitcairn, April 19, 1775. He fell at Bunker Hill two months later.