In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sighting in OPEN sights on a rifle

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
this should be easy, but confuses me sometimes and I thought before I go to the range and my dyslexia takes over I would seek some "Expert" advice here.

Say the rifle shoots to the left. Which way should the front sight be moved? To the left or to the right to bring it back to "zero"??

Up and down is pretty easy. But throw in your two bits there as well which way to move the rear "sight"

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Move the rear sight to the direction you want the shot to go. So if you are shooting to the left move it to the right. Move the front sight in the opposite direction you want the shot to go. So if shooting to the left move it to the left.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The front should should be moved in the opposite direction of desired impact. Move the rear sight in the direction of desired impact.

Just get really,really close and it probably won't matter[8D][8D]

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What has been said above is correct.
    What's easest for me is to visualize are two lines, the bore line ending at the hole (center of group), and the sight line ending at the bullseye. The lines cross at whichever sight is "fixed". Adjust the movable sight (front or rear) in the direction (and amount) needed to make the 2 lines match.
    Amount of movement required can be calculated by simply looking at the ratio of the distance between the sights and the distance to the target. Example 10" correction @ 100yd with a 18" sight radius. 10" @ 3600" = ? @ 18". 3600/18= 200, 10/200= 0.050" sight movement required.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    jc40jc40 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From U.S. Military - to zero move sights to the "fors technic". Move front sight sight opposite to where you wish bullet to impact and move lower same direction you wish to impact. Front-opposite and rear-same.

Dr. J. Curtis Lane
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. We be hitting bull's eyes now!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln