In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lever action 44's. Opinions needed.

Vortech347Vortech347 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
Thinking about buying a lever gun in 44 mag for hog hunting and short range (100 yds or less) deer hunting. I intend to put a low power compact scope on it. Want the 44 so I can carry it and my 629 Classic Hunter together. Want to keep my cost under $500.

Looking for quality, hunting accuracy out to 100 yds with factory loaded ammo, reliability, etc.

I've done some research and found guns from Henry, Marlin, Ruger and Winchester. I looked at one of the 24" barrelled Winchesters recently and liked it. I have owned a trapper in .357 in the past and it was pretty accurate and had a decent trigger considering the style of gun. But I have never shot or owned any of the other brands of lever guns.

If you were me and were buying a 44 lever gun which would you buy and why?

Comments

• Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been looking too. So far, I think I'll get a Winchester, just cause the price is right. Henry costs too much, and good Marlins are hard to find (mostly pawn shop crap turns up if you are on a budget). Just don't outbid me! I'll be picking one up in the next couple of days.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    I like the shorter barrel versions , something along the lines of this one here http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=25023279
    but i believe Marlin also still makes one , either way they are both ready to be scoped right from the factory.
    anyway to answer your question, I would go with either a Marlin or Winchester , I know Rossi makes nice rifles but I don't like that darn safty they put on top of the bolt , and if your going to be hunting in bush then the shorter barrels really shine
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find a Marlin. Rugged, reliable, accurate, and reasonably priced.

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I would go with the Marlin since you want to put a scope on it. I believe they are drilled for scope bases.
  • Options
    cgs500cgs500 Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Winchester 94AE has an Angle Eject, hence the AE designation. So you can mount a scope without off setting it. I just sold one this past weekend because I just didn't shoot it,to bad this post wasn't here sooner.

The 16" barrel is easy to handle and is pretty accurate at the ranges you stated.
  • Options
    badwrenchbadwrench Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new angle-eject Winchesters are drilled as well. I have a .357 Large-loop and it's great. A buddy of mine has a .44 that I have fired, as well. They're both great guns, but the .44 has broken 3 scopes so far. It's recoil is more than one would expect from a carbine.

Chrome don't get you home.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the winchester in either the trapper or wramgler witht he large loop.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't worry I'm not planning to buy till first of next year. BTW, Sportsman's Warehouse had the 24" model for $375 regular price. I have looked there and found their prices to be better than the auctions on here. Not that the prices on here aren't bad.

quote:Originally posted by eastwood44mag
    I've been looking too. So far, I think I'll get a Winchester, just cause the price is right. Henry costs too much, and good Marlins are hard to find (mostly pawn shop crap turns up if you are on a budget). Just don't outbid me! I'll be picking one up in the next couple of days.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hear ya, my little .357 trapper model kicked harder than I expected. I plan to use a Leupold or Burris compact scope on it. Part of why I want the gun to be affordable, don't like cheap glass.

quote:Originally posted by badwrench
    The new angle-eject Winchesters are drilled as well. I have a .357 Large-loop and it's great. A buddy of mine has a .44 that I have fired, as well. They're both great guns, but the .44 has broken 3 scopes so far. It's recoil is more than one would expect from a carbine.

Chrome don't get you home.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From reviewing the SASS posts, it appears that a majority of the shooters prefer the Marlin over the Winchester for a number of reason. As a result, I purchased a Marlin. As far as price goes, Marlin 44's regularly go in sale at Big 5 here for $299.00
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have shot both the Win 94s and marlins before getting mine. I went with a marlin and love it. The marlin comes dirlled for scope mount and they are side eject so you dont have to worry about the brass ejection.

John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You don't have to worry about that with the angle eject Winchesters either. They are drilled for scope mounts on the top of the receiver too.

quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    I have shot both the Win 94s and marlins before getting mine. I went with a marlin and love it. The marlin comes dirlled for scope mount and they are side eject so you dont have to worry about the brass ejection.

John
  • Options
    RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester '94 Legacy in .44 mag. It's a very nice gun, and a good shooter. A buddy of mine has a Marlin 1894SS in .44 mag. It's also a very nice gun, and a good shooter. They both shoot loads with 240 grain (or larger) bullets much better than the light 180's.

With the Winchester, since it was designed for longer than pistol length cartriges, can jam if you short stroke the action, which can be somewhat of a pain in the *ss, particularly in a Cowboy Action event. The Marlin can be customized more easily, e.g. slicking-up the action, or adding a Wild West trigger (3 lb pull weigh). Either one is a great gun, but if you're thinking of Cowboy Action, I'd go with the Marlin. IMHO.