In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder Issues!!

interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
Crap, I bought a 8 pound container of Hogdon H-110 a ways back and have been storing it, tightly sealed in my basement. The first pound or two of powder performed well but now my powder has become contaminated with moisture and will not properly deflagrate(fire). How can I save/dry out the rest of my powder so it can be used?

topcat1.jpg Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif

Comments

• Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's useless once it gets wet. Hopefully I'm wrong, but don't get your hopes up.[:(]

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a 1996 Alliant Powder Reloaders Guide they show a jar of powder manufactured in 1899 that they keep stored UNDER distilled water. Every so often they dry out a little of it and it still performs to original specs. They can do this with this powder since the stabilizers for long term storage had not yet been introduced until about 1910. They also state DO NOT store present day powder under water.
  • Options
    warcrobwarcrob Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If for some reason the powder got wet, it is for the most part fertilizer.
    Always store your powders and primers in a dry location, and keep lids tightly secured on containers.

If you ain't got a sense of humor you got no business bein here!
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it has been wet, it is of no use in a firearm, dump it.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Since H-110 is a spherical powder with burn rate determined by coatings on the powder, it's my guess that even if you got it dried back to factory levels, the deterent coatings would be affected and probably reduced, which I'd think would cause the burn rate to speed up, which would cause for higher pressures for similar loadings. So before I used any of it, I'd contact Hodgdon. They ought to know.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.hodgdon.com
    Before emailing - be aware that you may not get an answer. While we try very hard to reply in a timely manner, it is possible that your emails are being blocked by our spam filters or, more likely, a response from us is being blocked as it comes back to you. Some ISP's have child protection or spam blocking in place that will not let us reply. A very significant percentage of workplace and government email servers will block a reply from us. If you do not get a timely reply, figure we are not able to communicate by email and call us, 913-362-9455

If you have a safety problem or concern - DO NOT EMAIL - CALL US DIRECTLY - 913-362-9455

If you require an immediate reply - CALL US -913-362-9455

Send mail to help@hodgdon.com with questions or comments.
    Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc. Phone 913-362-9455 Fax 913-362-1307

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you respect your health and physical appearance,..you'll dump that container on your garden or lawn and not look back.

In the future,..store the powder upstairs. It is non-vloatile until ignited in a confined space with no leakage(metallic cartridge) I bet you have more flammable items under the sink. You can put it in a closet with some of those refillable moisture bead thingy's. Better yet,..if you have any friends with a vaccum sealer,..then take out 1/2lb at a time and reseal the rest. I do that with primers and powders I use very little of,..or if I buy a lot of it.[8]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    warcrobwarcrob Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When in doubt? Throw it out!

If you ain't got a sense of humor you got no business bein here!
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    The problem wasn't moisture after all! The problem was I was trying make up some lighter target loads using .357 and .44 brass. H-110 has to be loaded up per min spec or it will not ignite. I am still going to take the advice of moving the powder to dryer climes. Thanks to all who answered.

topcat1.jpg Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif