In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Military radios

NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have an old PRC-10 raido. Does anyone know if they are worth anything?

John

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The PRC10 was used in the 60's as the standard field radio for the military. It was replaced with the PRC25. The 25 had KRYPTO capabilities. The 25 was replaced in the 80's. Batteries for the radios are next to impossable to obtain. A communications collector may want one. Price is relative to who wants it. When they were manufactured the cost was about $1500.00 per unit. Then again our government were paying $500.00 for tolet seats back then also [:D]. You may want to try selling it on several of the auction sites. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    O Yeah!! The gentleman-10 aka POS
    Last time I seen one I think it sold for less than $100 at a ham rdio meet.
    Dont waste your $ on it!
    I think it xmits on 50mhz around 1.5watts 5watt max.
    They were out of service when I was in the suck.
    All we had were PRC-25/77's 32-34mhz??, 41's UHF/Air, 47's HF, TSC15's and the bigger TSC ?? comm van, hell its been over 30yrs ago.
    Greg! fill in the blanks!
    walte 2841 usmc a long long time ago
    We used M16 spears & M79 rocks back then..Old Corps
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    When I was in I was the New Corp. It is all in perspective. The PRC10 is in the same catagory as the 8088 computer. [:D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I know they are old and they were pretty short lived and sucked. I just hate to throw something like that out. Too much of our history gets thrown out as it is.

John
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    youd be surprised how many film companies need props to do films. try marketing them. they dont care if it works! regent films @ regent university here in va beach has a whole crew always needing stuff like that. i have a couple old prc-63's laying around mself. even got one of those prt-5's that came with a kite antenna. whew! now thats old! ok guys, remember your squacks to get sar support? 243.0 and 282.8?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    When I was in FRO school in 1967 we trained with the PRC 8,9,10 and with their replacement, the PRC 25. The difference between the 8,9,10 was the wave length spectrum, which I forget, but one was for use by Arty units, one by Infantry, and one by some other units. The 25 spanned the full spectrum so were useable by all units. The battery was shaped diffently for the 10, and wasn't much smaller than the radio unit, whereas the battery for the 25 was about the size of a 2x4x8. It also seems to me that the power of the 10 was about that of the low power setting on the 25. I don't know of any units that used the 8,9,10s in Vietnam, unless the ARVNs did, since they used Garands and BARs, it would make sense that they would. I'd guess the last US units to use them in combat would have been in the Korean conflict.