In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what is the differance in weaver mounts and

Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
Picatinny mounts. Can you interchange them? Thanks

JBoss......Fear No Fish

Comments

• Options
    BigBarnBigBarn Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interchange them with what?????

"Respect the land, and it will respect you"
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe rings/mounts are interchangeable. How do they differ? I don't know either and don't feel foolish asking. Anyone?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Options
    Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I was asking if a weaver would fit on a picatinny and would a picatinny fit a weaver type mounting system. Thanks

JBoss......Fear No Fish
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Leupold PRW {permanent weaver type} rings on a picatinny heavy duty steel mount, the rings did not fit as well as I would have liked. I purchased some heavy duty steel rings designed for picatinny mounts and those fit much better.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accessories fitted for Picatinny rails are interchangeable between other Picatinny rails. The military has seen to this when they issued the MIL-STD 1913 and the addendum Revision "A". This is the standardization required for sharing accessories in the Picatinny system. The slots in the Weaver rails are not equally spaced on the standard Weaver rails unless they are made to mimic the Picatinny specs.

Here are the specifications for the Picatinny Rail System:

218597.bmp

By way of comparison, a couple of sets of Weavers that I have, the slots measure 0.150" wide x 0.100" deep, measured like the Picatinny and have flat bottom slots. Another set of Weavers have a full radius in the bottom of the slots. The full width of the Weaver rail measures the same as the Picatinny, 0.835" point to point.

218596.bmp

218595.bmp

http://www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/

The link has the PFD files of the MIL-STD 1913 document.