In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

checkering during stock reflinishing

micmacmicmac Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a remington 760 stock that I'm going to refinish. The checkering is in excellent shape. The refinishing instructions i've read all refer to multiple coates of finish with light sanding or steeel wool rubbing in between. My question is how to deal with the checkering? I'm sure you dont want to sand it, I'm not sure on the steel wool. Any advise would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello mask off the checkering and do the rest of the stock until the last coat then on the last coat take off the tape and use a new tooth brush to get most of the finish out of the diamonds you don't want it to pool. This will leave the diamonds looking sharp but still protect the bare wood
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    micmac, cover the checkering with masking tape. Be sure to press it down firmly into the checkering border. You might have to clean up around the borders after the finish is finished with a single-line checkering tool, but it's no biggie.
    Good luck,
    OleDuk[:)][:)]

"Disperse you Rebels; Damn you,throw down your arms and disperse!"
    British Major John Pitcairn, April 19, 1775. He fell at Bunker Hill two months later.