In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

blue rust finish ??????

elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I had a friend who used a cold blueing that when he got done it looked like aged blueing kind of rust color has anyone seen or used something like this and whats the formula or where do you get it.

col elect1mike Illinois
volinters RRG
I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
Tolono.gif

Comments

• Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you might be talking about "Plum-Brown" made by BirchWood Casey.Nice aged brown patina. Available from Brownells.

www.brownells.com

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    01DUSE01DUSE Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rub it down with bacon fat and throw it in the oven for a while. Rub it down and repeat til you get desired finish. Tried it on muzzleloaders and works ok too.

Men, like bullets, go farthest when they are smoothest.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you will find that Plum Brown is a heat-and-apply process to get the brown. Applied and left to rust may give something else. One that has been fool-proof for me is a cold brown from Laurel Valley Forge also available at Brownells. A good thing about it different from other finish products is it is not particular about degreasing. You just swab it on and wait a few hours or overnight for it to rust. Lightly scrub with 0000 steel wool. It may take two or more cycles to get the brown as dark as you want. Wash thoroughly with hot water to stop after rust. If you have trouble finding it, email me and I will give you the maker address off the bottle.

Been there - done that!