In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.410 / 45

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a Harrington Richardson .410 single. My question, is it safe to shoot a .45 in this gun. If not, is there any caliber that will shoot safely.
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• Options
    calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you haven't received a reply from a more competent gun person i'll give it a shot. I have never owned a .410 but i have looked at a few and asked the same question. I am told that you can shoot .45 long colt in the .410
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    h&r only recommends the 45 long colt in their handy gun specificly chambered for the .45/410. this is built on their single shot rifle action. most h&r 410 shotgun have a barrel with a full choke which will cause all kinds of problems when trying to use a pistol/rifle cartridge. even the low pressure 45 long colt will generate more pressures than the 410 shell.
    bill
  • Options
    nam barneynam barney Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a T/C contender in 45/410 and use both rounds. The only difference is that for the 410 you get a choke insert to thread into the end of the barrel and you get cautioned to remove the choke insert before shooting the LC's. Don't rightly know if damage would ensue or not. Albeit I have oft heard of folks who use both rounds in their shotguns. If I were you I would contact the firearm mfg. and pose the question the them.

Raymond Kreiger
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can do it!!! I have done it!!! BUT I DON'T RECOMMEND IT!!!

At least I don't recommend it if the manufacturer doesn't specifically say that you can interchange the rounds. 45 LC cartridges build higher pressures, and some of the older 410's won't be able to handle the pressures one time, let alone repeated use.

I believe that NEF builds interchangeable barrel systems with their single shots, you might check there and see if they have one. Rossi also has matched barrel sets, you might also check with them on their website.

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It can be done, but why do it. The rim will jam under the extractor, accuracy will be poor due to the choke constriction, plus you'll get much better results using .410 1/5 ounce slugs. Try these sometime if you haven't already. The last time I shot .45 Colt ammo in a .410 revolver, every bullet tumbled. The slugs however, shot great.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi nyforester,

Don't do it because your gun is not made for the .45. Some derringers are made to chamber the .410 and .45LC, but these guns are rated for either load.

A .25-35 rifle cartridge will also fit into the chamber of a .410 but that would probably be a disasterous experience. Because a cartridge (not intended for that firearm) will fit into the chamber of that firearm is not a reason to think it can be fired safely or that there is no risk in doing so.

Please be safe.

Regards,

Heavyiron[8D]

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In reference to the T/C 45-410 bbl. TAKE OUT the 410 choke before firing the 45 Colt.My T/C bbl. is the 10 with the internal choke and adj. sites.The choke is basically a wad stripper I believe,it has what looks like straight rifling.What would be the lands mic about 0.378.The grooves mic about 0.444. So I do not see a 45 cal slug fitting through there.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info..........
    Abort Cuomo