In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Your thoughts on howa and rem

linemechlinemech Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
How would you all rate the howa heavy bbl varmint vs the rem 700vls in .308 which it better out of the box?

Comments

• Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say, in general, that the Howa is a better buy for the money.
    I don't know anything about varmint shooting or rifles, but it seems to me that a 308 Win. is not the most desireable caliber for that.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what about .25-06 or .243 for varmints? i think that would be some better choices.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rem 700 varmint rigs are the industry standard, most are somewhat custom but.......
  • Options
    MattyTibbsMattyTibbs Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LineMech, if you were going to want a rifle for hunting, go with the remington, cause it's light, and easy to carry, if you want something accuracy, go with the Howa.

dwlu8
    dwlt4

It's not war untill someone breaks out the .50 calibers.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 700 has far more latitude for advancement VIA a gunsmith. The Howa actions are great ones from what I gather,..but as has been stated, the 700rem is the standard. You can always liquidate a 700 faster and fore more $$ if need be or if you want to trade up to custom actions. MHO.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I have have HOWA in 308 and 223 and used to have on in 243 ( but sold it when my son and I started hunting together for safety in case a 243 got mistaken in hast for a 308 shell.

My are actually Smith and Wesson Long guns but were made by Howa.

They are pin point accurate and wonderful guns. I have absolutely NO bad words for them. Mine are not bull bbl, just regular bbls and shot great. You will not regret it.

The Rem is a good rifle as well, and you would be happy with that, but take the extra money and put it in optics!!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln