In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2 3/4 vs. 3"

lildrmr69lildrmr69 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a Moss 500 trophy slugster with rifled barrel chambered for 2 3/4 or 3". Gun store I purchased from said no reason to use a 3" shell. If planning to sight in with scope for 100 yrds using sabots, isn't the 3" going to give more velocity and accuracy for the distance shot? Am I wasting money on the Rem. gold and Win premium and gold slugs? Or just shoot them all 'till gun finds its' favorite?

Hot on trail of monster whitetail in MI!

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    unless youre a perfectionist and like pain, i think youll find the 2 3/4" to be just fine. we shot em all the time with good results.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Ahhhh! Sighting in a slug gun, one of my most favorite things to do. NOT!!!

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my old duck hunting days I know the 3" magnum would only extend the effective range about 5 to 10 yards with #4 shot. Some people thought it was worth the extra insurance and others didn't. I never used the 3" magnum.

Regards,

Heavyiron[8D]

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bobski, once again you have hit the nail right on the head.
    ld69, listen to bobski he knows what he is talking about.

The only rounds that I have found to really benefit from 3"mag is buckshot or for sabots only for penetration purposes not for accuracy or distance. Have fun shooting[:D]

"There are those who make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that say, what happend?"

AC Tactical
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you'll lose 1 round mag tube capacity plus the 3" will shoot different point of aim. I had some problems with ejection with 3"(Rem 870), for me, seemed to jamb occasionally. The extra recoil
    isn't much gain in ballistics. You will want to use saboted slugs and unfortunately, you will have to try a couple different varieties to find which your gun likes. Mine seems to prefer the Win. and Federals.
  • Options
    01DUSE01DUSE Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I rarely shoot anything other than 2 3/4". Not worth the extra expense. I've found the Challenger brand to be an excellent bang-for-your-buck. Alot of the law enforcement agencies here in Canada use the Challengers exclusively. The Forstner-style slugs shoot very well in my 500 smoothy with open fiber-optic sights.

Men, like bullets, go farthest when they are smoothest.
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gun builders NEED to change things to remain solvent.New cartridges,longer shells,different bells and whistles.Anything different sells guns.Don't be persuaded by hype.The animals,birds are NOT getting tougher.

BILL
    KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY.BUT NOT HOT.....single action S&Ws are keepers
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you read the box, you'll find the only difference in a 3" sabot and a 2_" sabot is the length of the shell. same 1 oz slug, same powder, could be a different wad (longer sabot). They'll hit the same point with the same power and the same expansion. They even call both of them "Magnums".

In a rifled bbl they both do pretty good.

Good luck. I think you'll like it.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.