In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

questions on Oregon pistol laws

jazzman111jazzman111 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
I'm thinking of having my brother purchase a gun from a private seller who lives near him in Oregon. The seller is advertising the pistol on a "for sale" site that does not guarantee the gun exists, so I'm thinking this could be the way to have someone I trust look the gun over and only convey the cash if it passes his inspection. My question is, does Oregon law allow my brother (not a pistol permit holder) to transport a handgun from seller's to his home, then from his home to an FFL-holding dealer? Does Oregon law require that paperwork be drawn up for sale of handguns between private parties?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I like your idea, keep it simple. What someone suggested, though, is that my brother should also write down the seller's driver's license number and have the gun's serial number checked to make sure it hasn't been stolen. The problem with that idea is that, if it is a stolen gun, I'm likely to still be out the money I paid for it. I'm thinking that one of the reasons the gun is still for sale is that most people are leery of sales from a private, non-FFL holding party.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've done a few private party transfers in my quest for Detonics Scoremasters. Since I live in California this is not on the DOJ's aproved list. So, the only legal way I can have them are to have my friend pick them up and then bring them to me here then do the transfer at my local gunsmith's. Then wait the 10 days then 31 days for the next handgun (just a waiting, paper job). So, ever since they changed the basic fire arms I just buy long guns.
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jazzman,if you smell a rat,chances are there is a rat around.Follow your instinks.....no pun intended.

BILL
    KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY.BUT NOT HOT.....single action S&Ws are keepers
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is always a certain amount of uncertainty buying ANY gun from a nonlicensee, whether in person or over the Internet.

First, there is no way for a civilian to query the Dept of Justice data base of stolen firearms. There should be, &, when I am elected President, there will be. For now, the only defense is to be sure you know who your seller is. If it is not practical for him to photocopy his drivers license, be sure to transcribe his name, address, & DOB; if he refuses, walk away.

When buying over the Internet, get the sellers name, address, & phone # before sending him money. Check an Internet phone directory, such as anywho.com, to be sure that his name & phone number are listed. Phone him at the number to be sure that he lives there. If he is unlisted, ask him to mail you a photocopy of his drivers license. If you aren't sure who & where he is before you send money, you will never find out AFTER.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Like your response, Modoc. That gun has been listed for a long time, the price is suspciously low for the make, and when I emailed the seller for contact information, I got a phone number and town, but no street address. Too much rat odor in the air--I'm not going down that road....