In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith 617 questions: 10 shot vs 6 shot

beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
Apart from the fact that the six shot more closely simulates a service revolver, and the ten takes a bit longer to clean, is there any reason why you might NOT choose the 10 shot model?

Also, I know many people really hate the newer Smith key-lock revolvers.

Is there any real difference in the shootability or "feel" of these revolvers, or is this purely a resentment of politically correct "safe" guns?

Comments

• Options
    RaoulRaoul Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 10 shot 6" 617, and I like it. I've tried the 6 shot model, and I really didn't notice any difference between the two. I've heard some people say they think the 6 shot models are smoother operating, but I can't tell much difference. I think it really just comes down to personal preference, or maybe someone, somewhere, some place, or some time ran into a bad example.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had the 6 shot, but now own the 10 shot and am really happy with it. I like the fact that I have the same number of rounds in my revolver as I do in my 22 pistol!

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
    stooges.jpg
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't handled the ten shot, but one difference I would assume is that the cylinder is probably larger in diameter. May not be much but could be a little bulkier in profile. As I said I am not familiar with the 10 round, so check side by side and see if the difference in heft or thickness of cylinder makes a difference in holstering, ect. to you.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    No speedloaders are available for the 10 shot.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richbug
    No speedloaders are available for the 10 shot.

Its a .22. Are there actually .22 speed-loaders available for the 6 shot?

quote:
    Haven't handled the ten shot, but one difference I would assume is that the cylinder is probably larger in diameter. May not be much but could be a little bulkier in profile. As I said I am not familiar with the 10 round, so check side by side and see if the difference in heft or thickness of cylinder makes a difference in holstering, ect. to you.

I don't think there is any difference whatever in external cylinder diameter. The guns are built on the K-frame, which can handle .357 magnum rounds. The guns is massively over-engineered for a .22. So .22s should pose no problem without needing to thicken the walls. The ten shot does have ten flutes in the cylinder, but overall weights are the same between the two.

I checked the S&W site and the ten shot (besides costing a bit more) also has a slightly narrower and shorter hammer spur and a narrower trigger. To me that would suggest the 6 shot is a hair more comfortable to shoot.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Yes they make speedloader for .22's I have some for one of these, and for the Tausus and H&R guns. Midway has them... http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/619896

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    allechalley, the Model 617 cylinder cannot be larger in diameter because the frame window would have to be larger, which would require a larger frame, and that is not the case. Just stop to think about the size of charge holes needed for a .38 Special, for which the K-frame was designed, and then think about the size of charge holes needed for a .22LR. Almost two .22LR cartridges will fit in the space of one .38 Special. Distribute as many .22 charge holes as possible equally around the .38 cylinder on the same center, and it easily holds ten .22LR charge holes.

Before the Smith & Wesson Model 317 was introduced with eight .22 chambers in the same space as previously held six, I toyed with the idea of trying to adapt a Taurus Model 94 cylinder to a Smith & Wesson Model 63 frame, but the Model 317 was introduced before I got serious. I still have the Taurus Model 94 and it holds nine, which I think Smith could have done with the M317, but did not.

The more shots, the better in my estimation. Take the ten-shot. Any revolver with the new lock will not feel any different than one without, so do not worry about that issue, unless the PC aspect is too much for you.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, Judge. I guess I was remembering the seven shot S&W and the 5 shot colts and smiths and the changes they had to make to make that work. I suppose that since the hand travel might be somewhat different, it might have somewhat different "feel", 6 shot compared to a 10 shot, everything else being equal, otherwise I guess it's each to his own. Six shots are enough for one guy, 10 enough for the next.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    allechalley, to what five-shot Colts are you referring? The only five-shot cartridge Colts of which I am aware are from the 1874 and later 1800s era, such as the New Line, Cloverleaf, New House, New Police, etc.. If Colt were to chamber the Anaconda in .500 S&W, I assume it would have a five-shot cylinder, but that has not happened yet. Since 1873 and the famous Model P, Colts have been known mostly as "Six Shooters."

When you mention the seven-shot Smiths, I assume you are referring to the L-frames, which can be had with seven chambers in .38/.357 size. Again, the cylinder is not larger than six-shot versions; the chambers are simply closer together.

When you mention five-shot Smiths, I assume you are referring to the J-frames, which were originally designed in 1950 for five chambers of .38 size, and the cylinder and frame window were sized accordingly, thus making the guns slightly more compact than if they had six-shot cylinders. It is my understanding that the J-frame evolved from the I-frame, which was designed for six .32 charge holes. The modified I-frame size would not have accommodated a cylinder large enough to hold six .38 charge holes, so that dictated the five-shot cylinder. The frame was lengthened to accommodate a cylinder that would hold the longer .38 Special round, and the famous Chiefs Special was born.