In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Digital Scale

ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2004 in Ask the Experts
Need to get a Digital Scale, What is a good scale?? from $100.00 to $160.00 in price. Will load for handgun and up to 1000 Grains or so for the 50cal.[:)]

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member..NRA,
American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS, IDPA
Thanks for all the help!

IN GOD WE TRUST! *And don't use Pay Pal!

Comments

• Options
    ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've been checking out some digital scales and am wanting to purchase one. pretty much every one i have checked out is accurate to.1 gr. also checked out jewelry scales and they are accurate to .01 gr. would the extra accuracy be worth my while or would anyone suggest a reason not to use a jewelry scale. the jewelry scale is cheaper than all the reloading scales i have checked out. any information would be helpful. also what reloading scale would/did you purchase and why.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have a PACT and love it . HOWEVER keep your old balance beam scale also if possible get some check weights or make some. to use from time to time I made mine out of some jacketed bullets that I filed to exact weight and keep in sealed container. ANYTHING with batteries and no apparent moving parts can fail.IF you are loading close to max with a FAST pistol powder you need to have a way of checking your scaleto avoid a over charge. I think any of the name brand scales will give you good service.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with perry shooter, I would never use an electronic scale unless I had a balance beam manual scale to check it with. I have a RCBS electronic scale, a Dillion electronic scale, and a Ohaus balance beam scale to check the electronics with. I weigh every charge that I use, usually throwing it with a RCBS powder measure and then weighing it and adjusting to the exact charge weight. On my reduced pistol loads I use a dillion 550b set up and check weigh every 10th charge as these are reduced loads and nowhere near maximum. I hope this helps you.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Check Cabela's, they have a scale that is about $86 new and they work well (I think it is made by PACT).
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a PACT and an RCBS and they both always agree within .1gr. Both are good products.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Cabellas not expecting a much, but I was surprized.

Regardless of what you select, keep a few things around to confirm the scale in the range you are working. I go through the calibration routine in the instrument, 0g ,30g, 50g, 80g, 0g, but it is just a formality. I find comfort in some things I keep that weigh around 20gr to 30gr (verified on a trusted scale) when loading in the to 20 to 30 grain ballpark.

If we do not hang together,
    We will most certainly hang separately.
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's my .02.I'd get the best set my billfold would allow me to.This is a very important item in the process so I'd go with the best one possible,good luck with your loading,Bob.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    frequent calibration and environmental control is the key to accurate scales. No drafts,. no fans, no stereo vibrations, level surface, etc.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?