In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone know the laws regarding PA handgun?

Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2005 in Ask the Experts
I like to hike and fish, usually away from the roads and people. When I'm on my four-wheeler I usually carry a revolver on me, just in case. Recently, someone told me this is illegal for me to do, since I am 19. I have a permit to carry while hunting, and I always have my dads permission to carry when I am out in the woods. I should add that he is the owner of the revolver and I live in Pennsylvania. A very rural part of PA. Does anyone know what the law is on this matter? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE IF SOMTHING IS OPEN TO HUNT YEAR AROUND LIKE CROWS OR FOX.CHECK YOUR GAME LAWS TKS HEDGE
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know what the laws are regarding it in respects to hunting, thats what I bought it for. But I like to carry it in case of bears or coyotes and general protection. Anyone else?
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Bill: You are from Bradford. PABOGGER will be able to help you he lives in your neck of the woods. My parents and my sister live in Bradford. I am the Black Sheep of the family and I live in New Mexico. [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was hoping Pa would stop in but I have'nt seen him in a while. MAybe I'm not looking hard enough. BTW Gap, you mind telling em what your parents name is? And why in Gods name you would move to New Mexico? Just kidding on the NM thing, my brother went hiking for 10 days in Cimmaron at the Boy Scout camp and said its bueatiful.
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    I fail to understand how you got a pistol permit at the age of 19, that I cannot understand. Im pretty sure that would be Illegal Ive seen people get arrested for carrying loaded hand guns in pennsylvania at the age of 18 and they will not give you a pistol permit at the age of 19. So to answer yourr question id say it is most definately illegal.

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder
  • Options
    farfromnormalfarfromnormal Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In PA, if you 18 or older, and in posession of a valid hunting, fishing, or trapping license, or a permit relating to hunting dogs (?), AND with a valid PA sportsmans firearm permit, you can carry a revolver (with the owners permission). This doesn't allow you to carry it loaded IN a vehicle. For the specific statute, check the State Laws book put out by the BATF or check their website.

A BAD DAY OF HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK!

ONE HIT IS BETTER THAN 10 MISSES!
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by farfromnormal
    In PA, if you 18 or older, and in posession of a valid hunting, fishing, or trapping license, or a permit relating to hunting dogs (?), AND with a valid PA sportsmans firearm permit, you can carry a revolver (with the owners permission). This doesn't allow you to carry it loaded IN a vehicle. For the specific statute, check the State Laws book put out by the BATF or check their website.

But im wondering how did he get the liscense to carry at the age of 19 in Pa

Thats what state i am from and i have a liscense to carry.
    If idve known that you can carry a handgun at the age of 18 i wouldve probably never went for my liscense to carry.

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder
  • Options
    farfromnormalfarfromnormal Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    His post says "I have a permit to carry while hunting", ie. a "sportsmans permit" as it is called in PA. A "license to carry" is only issued to persons 21 or older.

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Bill:
    Parents last name is Platko and they live on Van Tassel Way. It is up beyond Pitt and across from Kloss Lane.
    Greg

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    merrbarbmerrbarb Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill: Apparently you have a Sportsman Firearms permit, good ONLY for hunting, fishing, trapping. NOT GOOD for general carry. In PA it is unlawful for anyone under the age of 18 to possess a handgun. A quick purusal of the law suggests that age 21 is not the magic age for an application for permit to carry, but check with your applicable law enforcement agency which may be your county sheriff. Also your carry while 4-wheeling in the woods or gamelands may be illegal anyway since you may not carry your firearm on certain properties, The law says in any airport, courthouse, public or private school, federal property (Post office, SS office, etc) historic landmark or ANY STATE OR COUNTY PARK. Also the permit to carry is to carry CONCEALED, and not on your waist in a holster like the Lone Ranger. There should never be any unnecessary display of your firearm. Under the Sportsman's Firearms Permit during a valid hunting season the situation is different. Again, check with your county Sheriff office for applicable laaws and regulations.

God helps those who help themselves