In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

opinion on pistol/rifle is requested

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
The search function on GB is way to slow, so I gave up. I will ask the same question others have.

Is the CZECH 52 pistol in 7.62X25 a worth while plinker?
What variant of the Moisen Nagant makes a good plinker to play with, which should I avoid.

I want these for shooting (a lot) not collecting.

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents worth!

Comments

• Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    The search function on GB is way to slow, so I gave up. I will ask the same question others have.

Is the CZECH 52 pistol in 7.62X25 a worth while plinker?
    What variant of the Moisen Nagant makes a good plinker to play with, which should I avoid.

I want these for shooting (a lot) not collecting.

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents worth!

Actually it might be fun to shoot but have fun trying to hit the broad side of a barn with that pistol
    As for the Russian rifle i wouldnt waste my time with it (and to those idiots at that gun magazine comparing it to an kar98 saying it shot better you are wrong on so many levels)

Id personally go with a Mauser it will shoot better its cheaper will last longer (not sure on ammo price though for 7.62x54R
    But 8mm ammo isnt a bad price.

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm surprised to hear you say that. The 52 I owned was as accurate as any military pistol I've ever tried.
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joel_black
    I'm surprised to hear you say that. The 52 I owned was as accurate as any military pistol I've ever tried.

Ive never owned one of those so my opinion is worth squat I personally just dont like Czechoslovakia made guns and that really isnt a good handgun caliber.

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]a $10 pellet pistol/rifle is a GOOD/GOOD plinker what the hell do you want for squat[?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if you've handled one of those ( CZ-52 )but I don't like how they feel. The grip was kinda large and awkward and the slide release was weird too, I was all hot to buy one cuz they are cheap but then I laid hands on one and said no way. I like the feel of a 1911 auto or a Ruger MK I or II.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CZ52 was one of the best made eastern block pistols of the cold war era. Mine works great, but they have combat sights that leave a lot to be desired. Yes larger hands are a plus with the very vertical grip, but my medium size hands manage to shoot it just fine. The 7.62x25 cartridge is a hot flat shooting number. The muzzle blast at my local indoor range usually gets one or two folks over to ask what mega mag I'm shooting. If I ever get a chance at a second slide I'll look into getting better sights installed. As far a the Mosin Nagant rifles, I've owned several over the years and have sold them all off as they just don't measure up to other rifle designs. Any Mauser is preferable to any Mosin in both shooting and collecting aspects, in my opinion.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have been think this all along, but have come to the solid conclusion that "Cyclonanus" Doesn't know his * from a hole in the ground.

The CZ-52's are clunky yes, and have poor sights, but are accurate and reliable(assuming you don't dry fire them).

Any of the MN's are equally reliable, but some variants are slightly more desiable. Of the Mosin nagants, the russian 91-30's that century is currently importing are excellent. dealer on them is $59. I don't know of any mausers fro that kind of money that are shootable, let alone in execellent shape let me know about them.

Czech guns have some of the finest workmanship out there.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    GaBobGaBob Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked my CZ-52. It was accurate and reliable. It was ,however, a little large for my tastes. I normally carry a "roscoe" in my back pocket around the farm/hunting club and it was a little large for that. It is very well made and easy to disassemble but the firing pins are brittle and will not stand dry firing. Replacement steel firing pins are available from www.makarov.com. Also drop in conversion barrels from them for 9m/m. I shot a large rattler with mine and his head disappeared. Hard to reload for because brass goes about 30 feet and hard to find. Overall I liked it.
    Bob

Keep Your Powder Dry

The only criminal class that is native to the United States is congress.
    MARK TWAIN
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    As a matter of fact,I'm pickin' up CZ # 3 tomorrow.

My younger brother liked the first one so much that I let him talk me out of it and I bought # 2.

Then,my older brother got to shoot it later and guess what?
    Yep,I'm pickin' # 3 up tommorow.

Both were very accurate and functioned perfectly.

Not exactly the "cheapest" plinker out there as far as the price of ammo is concerned,but still a hoot to shoot.[^]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both as well as Mausers and feel reasonably qualified to respond. The CZ is ugly and klunky. It is reasonably accurate for a GI pistol and the cartridge is pretty good for small game. It would not be my choice as a man-stopper. It has perhaps THE WORST TRIGGER PULL of any gun I have owned. The MN rifles are also kind of sloppy compared with the Mausers but they are at least the equal in accuracy.Ammo is cheap and it is fun at the range. Many of the "reconditioned" ones have less than ideal bores, but it does not seem to have any negative affect on accuracy---at least with GI ammo, however the acid dip which the armory used makes the bolt kind of gritty. It does wear off.
    Have fun in any case!!
    Morty