In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield 1903 ?????

gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
I was down to the local gun shop today and they have a
SpringField Armory 1903 on the used rack
it looks to be original stock , finish, very good condition,
ser number was 1338XXX ,, it had a flaming bomb on the barrel and also SA and 1-30 where on the barrel just below the flaming bomb ,
can any one give me a value for this rifle ???

I know every one will want pictures but since its at a shop its a little hard to do [:D]

Comments

• Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Gskyhawk, you didn't say what the price was on the rifle. It could have been made in 1930, or rebarreled in 1930. It has a high serial number so it should be safe to fire.

The CMP is selling them for $400.00. Without seeing it, you could guage what they're wanting for that one vs buying one from the CMP.

WW2Guns005.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    sorry [:I] price was $899
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are so many questions that need to be answered, it's impossible to give you a good response. We need to know the type of stock, the exact stock markings, type of finish on all parts, which parts are milled or stamped, markings on small parts, type of bolt, etc. Take your camera to the shop; why should they mind if you take pictures? $899 is too much to spend if you don't know how to evaluate it; it's too easy to get burned.

You really can't compare the price to that of rifles offered by CMP; all CMP '03's are rebuilt & have been mutilated to some extent, & therefore none are "collectible".

Neal
  • Options
    jnmiller75jnmiller75 Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifle was made in 1929 or 1930. Can't pinpoint it with only a partal serial number. Since the barrel was made in Jan. 1930, it probably is the original barrel. Like all the others have suggested, get some good pics, or at least be able to give a good description of the rifle and stock before trying to figure what a fair price is.