In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 77

dnnsalesdnnsales Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
I need a magazine for my win. model 77. Does anyone know if the aftermarket clips work right or not ? I`ve read bad and good reviews. Any brands better than others ? Thanks, E

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone with any comments on thi rifle?
    pro or con, thanks,dnn
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hedllo dnnsales...

Are you referring to a Model 77[?] If so, it was an experimental design only, and it never went into regular production. If you have one of them (or know the whereabouts of one), then hang on to it... it is worth serious $$$S to a diehard Winchester collector. The following is quoted directly from one of my reference documents;

"The Winchester Model 77 rifle was authorized on December 12, 1941, for development as a target practice rifle for the United States Marine Corps. Due to the pressure of other defense work, Winchester did not accept a contract for the manufacture of a quantity of these rifles. Only a few sample rifles were manufactured for exibition and test purposes." end quote

The features of the Model 77 were as follows;

Type - Semi-automatic repeating rifle, detachable box magazine, solif frame.
    Barrel - 24-inch, round heavy
    Chamber - 22 Long Rifle
    Magazine - Detachable box magazine holding 8 cartridges
    Stock - Military style, equipped with a 1 1/4-inch army style leather sling strap
    Sights - Target

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    Joe HJoe H Member Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert...double check? I think you looking at a different model...not the 77 22 semi auto? They were made from 1955-1963 and produced 217,000 in excellent cond. maybe $300 usually around a $200 gun in nice shape. Can be a little fussy with ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In reference to *. model 77 1955-1963
    thanks bert and joe
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Joe H
    Bert...double check? I think you looking at a different model...not the 77 22 semi auto? They were made from 1955-1963 and produced 217,000 in excellent cond. maybe $300 usually around a $200 gun in nice shape. Can be a little fussy with ammo.

Hello Joe...

The rifle I described above was/is the first Winchester Model 77. It was late last night when I replied, and most of my references list only the Models made through WW II. I did not stop to think about the later made Model 77s before writing my previous post[:I]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!