In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Red "G" Barrel Pin. Big problem.

Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
edited November 2005 in Ask the Experts
I had to have it drilled out. A press didn't work, bolts bent when we tried that trick and a hammer did not phase it. My dad just called and said that he and his buddy had to drill it out. Is this a normal problem with the Romainian AK kits with the red "G" on the side? Can a new barrel pin be bought, or can I just use a 7mmX29mm pin?

Dance Hippo. Dance.
hippo-blue1.gif

Comments

• Options
    wapo3030wapo3030 Member Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just compleated my first AK build on a Romy "G".
    After gleaning info off the web, the bbl. pins
    sounded like a horror story. Well this is what i found.
    If force is not working, your not using enough of it.
    Don't be afraid to hit it, use a bull punch, flat faced.
    Back up the left side(from a shooters veiw) with a heavy
    flat plate;ie:anvil. punchingribbitts.jpg I used a 3lb short sledge, 4 whacks and it was out.
    The bbl. was drove out using a 1/2 inch bolt with 2 copper
    pennies on the bbl. face. Came out like butter.
    readytoribbitt.jpg
    I made my rivet tool from a pair of 18 in. bolt cutters, grinding
    a little at a time and cooling often. Then get in there and smash
    some rivets. frontclose.jpg
    inside.jpg
    I used Ewbanks receivers and found that they are good because they
    are a bit oversized and that allows for some fitting and keeping
    the weapon tight. thingsofbeautypart2.jpg
    Watch the ejector as they are made to work for the 5.? and 7.62...if
    building 7.62x39 the ejector will have to be filed down JUST A HAIR!!
    Don't remove too much or it will not eject! Sorry for going on and on
    but i wanted folks to know....its not rocket science. So simple a cave man can do it. Now go out and shoot. akfinished.jpg

Only the dead have seen the end of war....Plato
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nice pictures Wapo3030. The pin is out, it's now time to find a replacement. Global Trades has them and the receiver I want as well. I'll check to day to see how the barrel came out. A hydraulic (sp) press didn't do anything to that pin; it just bent the bolt we were using to push it out. Hammer and pin: nothing. Didn't move it at all. Oh well, it's out now.

Your's looks just like my kit. I don't care for the wood, which is going to be replaced with Ironwood furniture.

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif
  • Options
    cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some pins can be real tricky,..

usually a a choped up washer between the anvil and trunnion is all thats needed to hammer out the pin,..i got mine out with a 16oz. safty hammer.

some need a press (12T or more)to force them out,.. no big deal.

now there are a few A-hole pins,..that wont bugde with a press,..one method ive seen work is to apply pressure with a press,..and then smack the top of the press with a hammer(BFH)

my barrels have all come out useing a brass drift and my wimpy 16oz hammer

quote:I don't care for the wood, which is going to be replaced with Ironwood furniture.

can i have the old wood?,...pretty please?

quote:I made my rivet tool from a pair of 18 in. bolt cutters, grinding
    a little at a time and cooling often. Then get in there and smash
    some rivets.

looks nice,..are those the H.F. bolt cutters? im about to chop up a 24in. bolt cutter i got from work,..how did you make the divit for the rivet head?

th_sign.jpg
    th_P1010032.jpg
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Next time use a harder bolt, and a bigger hammer. I used a 1/4" grade 8 with the threads cut off. I also used a 3# hammer. Pressing the trunions out on the romanians I did was harder than getting out the pin by far.

The arsenal usa receviers that Global trades sells are of good quality, thats what I used this last time.

• Options
    mr_floppymr_floppy Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some Ak people recomend a 20 ton press min. I've had a few that really poped when they first started to move.

Some have also used old drills to make a new barrel pin it they had to put in an oversized hole to set a diffrent head space on an worn barrel

It's too late but You could have also tryed heating up the trunion area with a torch and pressing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was a 12 ton press and that pin did not budge. It's gone now. I'll order a new one, or check for a new pin, when I order my receiver. I guess I had a bad draw when they sent me kits. The barrel came right out without any problems.

Cruize27: I'll need an address.

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif