In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

DRILLING RIFLE

hancockrmhancockrm Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
ok, pardon my ignorance, but what is a drilling rifle. i alwways see them advertised on gunbroker and the are always expensive as hell.

what are they and what is so special about them?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can you help me identify and value a drilling rifle I own.

It is made by JP Sauer & Sohn, Suhl. 16 gauge shotgun with what appears to be 9mm rifle (appears to be 9.3x72).

Serial # on stock/receiver and barrel is 125309. There is a magazine located in the stock that holds 4 rounds.

Numerous stampings underneath the barrells (I'll try to upload some pictures). Barrells are 26" long. The gun has exposed hammers and a selecter lever for the rifle.

Please let me know what additional information you'll need from me. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a nice one, but I am afraid that what you see is what you have; a J.P. Sauer drilling. I have never seen any way to date or assign a model designation to an older Sauer because we dropped a lot of bombs on Germany and then the Communists took over the half that Suhl is in.

The stamps under and on the barrels are German government proof marks and maybe some company inspectors' marks. There might be something there that would tie down the caliber for sure, but I don't know what else you might get out of it. German proof marks were pretty consistent for about 40 years that probably cover that gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can you provide an estimated value? I'm still working on the pictures. Thanks.