In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

value of marlin 38-55 rifle

Blowgun1Blowgun1 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Marlin 1893 (38-55) rifle in excellent condition. Also the dies for reloading but never used. Also ten boxes of old Winchester 38-55 amo. The serial number indicates the rifle was manufactured in 1899. Thinking of selling it and wonder what price to put on it.

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Jim,
    We can't realy give you a good value without pictures. The whole sense of value for an old rifle is authenticity and condition. I have a 1893 Marlin in 38-55 manufactured in 1901, and like yours should be, a smokeless powder model, value can run from $1000 to $2000 depending on condition and the market. Mine is worth AROUND $1,500 - $1750 depending on who and where. My best advice would be to put it on GB auction side with a starting price of $900 no reserve and see where it goes, that is probably your best indicator of the real value, it will bring what it's worth. In the process you may learn more than you already know about your fine old rifle, the people who bid on this type of gun have a welth of knowledge and are willing to share with interested parties.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.