In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

german rifle

boymanboyman Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi
Please forgive my ignorance but I know nothing about guns and now have been put in charge to sell an old german rifle. If you can give me any advice I will greatly appreciate it. It is a double barrel rifle with a scope the markings are 616xx Hubertus Suhl Dural on the barrel in a circle it reads flussstahl kruppfssen with an x in the middle and on top it reads schrot. It is very ornate with what looks to be hand carved silver and gold. There is a carving of rabbits a lab chasing birds and an elk.
Thank You
Sherri

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have this ANKARA 1935 I think its a German rifle. It says GEM 88 It has no Caliber stamped on it. It has a crescent over AS.FR and a star and a T C over the crescent. Could someone tell me about this rifle?[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for information on a rifle I am restoring for a friend. His father brought the rifle back from Germany, circa 1950. The barrel is stamped Helmut Dinger Kaiserslautern. The serial number is 1089. The rifle is in 270 caliber. It has some engraving on the trigger assembly. The rifle has a nice mannlicher stock; ivory details, silver inlay, checking, etc... Anu information is appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would love to know something about his cute little rifle that I bought years ago. It is chambered for 4mm long. The breech shows that size, but the muzzle is much larger.
    I don't understand German, but I guess "Sportmodell" is obvious.
    If anybody can shed any light on this rifle, please drop me a line. I would love to know it's history.
    The receiver and the barrel are numbered alike.
    The things that puzzle me are.....
    If it's a Sport model, why does it have a Swastika?
    Why is the muzzle so much larger than the breech?
    Why is the stock cut for a sling when there is no hardware for a sling?
    I would understand the last question if it had been sporterized, but evidently it was a sporter from birth.
    See pictures here http://www.karlsattic.com/german_rifle/Index.html
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quality photos of the rifle would be the only way we could help you. The following link is to a "sticky", that gives instructions for posting photos to the forum.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Kaiserslautern is a city in what was then West Germany, that was located near a very large U.S. Army base. During the early post W W II era it was common for the G.I.'s to purchase sporterized exmilitary Mausers, that had been reworked by the German gunsmiths.

Closeup quality photos of all markings on the rifle your inquiring about, would be able to identify if it's a exmilitary Mauser.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Helmut Dinger was a large German retailer located in Kaiserslautern. I've seen some other Mauser rifles bearing this marking as well as other commercial items like straight razors.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I have seen the straight razors with the Helmut marking. The owner was a GI in Germany at the time. I will get some photos posted. I appreciate the information.