In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt lightning

kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am preparing to do an action job on an old Colt Lightning revolver in 38 caliber. Does anyone know a good source for old parts I may need along the way? I know they are becomming harder to find.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have recently acquired a rifle about which I know very little.It appears to be a Colt Lightning in .32. It is pump action with a tubular magazine and an octagonal barrel. Anyone have an idea when it was made (ser#440XX)? What is it worth? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    did all the colt lightning rifles have the horse on the left side plate? i have ser.#9313 and cant make it out but might just be worn off thru the yrs. also my resecearch makes this a 1885 model is this correct? thanks in advance kevin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt Lightning rifle and I was wondering what the value of it might be. I believe that it is chambered for the 45-70 round but can't find any markings on the barrel. The serial number is 5772. I am guessing that the magazine tube is not original because it doesn't show the same wear as the barrel.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I came up with 1885 also it should have the colt pony but they were very lightly stamped. also should have small ejection port without dusk cover. sorry that is about all the information I have. Karl.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks karl it seems to maybe be vaguely visible but might be my eyes knowing it should be there also.does have the small port and no dust cover. shoots fine and action is real slick.any collector interest in these old pump colts? thanks kevin
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Yes some collector interest but like most older style firearms the it is more of a buyers market then sellers market. You have mail if you cant post pictures here I am sending you my private email.
    EDIT IMHO the condition of yours makes it a $300.00 gun please tell me you did not try to use steel wool [:(!][V][:(]. If you put up for auction on gunbroker please post item number I might bid for parts. Be aware if you try to shoot it may have a worn part that makes it unsafe . as a test start with an unloaded rifle then work the forearm to cock the hammer now see if you can still work the slide forearm. without first pulling trigger and dropping the hammer if you can do not shoot this rifle The disconnector is worn and it can fire out of lockup.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]DSC00518.jpg[img][/img]DSC00511.jpg perry working on more clear photo's sorry for the quility kevin
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Colt horse should be on the left side of the action below the ejector.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    If you plan to put it up at auction, Do Not
    use any pictures that have the steel-wool in the background.
    Using it is generally a deal breaker to a collector
    (or a return once the firearm is inspected up close). Best, Joe

EDIT Text Compression
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks givette didn't think of that at all but was actually used on a very poor a5 a friend has never gave it any thought and this certainly wouldn't be be pic for auction. thanks Kevin