In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tactical scope for .308

CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I'm sure a few people here have experience with this
or have already done the homework...
I have a .308 AR that I'd like to scope without breaking
the bank. I know $ is proportional to quality but I just
can't afford a Zeiss, Leupold, or other high dollar scope
Right now. Can anyone recommend anything in the $150
to $300 range that will suffice for now?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pipes6pipes6 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    used or old stock bushnell 3200 elite. have a 5x15x40 that is really nice. graham
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seriously doubt if you can get anything newly manufactured at that price point, except Chinese caca. The nobama gun/ammo panic has affected anything having to do with AR's.

Unless your willing to take a chance on buying used? Best thing to do, IMHO, is to wait 6 months to a year, saving your money.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pipes6
    used or old stock bushnell 3200 elite. have a 5x15x40 that is really nice. graham

I too own the 3200 (x2) they are pretty decent scopes ...

Your definition of "suffice" may not be the same as mine -or someone else's- and you gave no indication of what qualities you feel a need for (magnification, AO, reticle, etc), but I would recommend the 3200 Elite if it suits your "needs"
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Used Leupold Vari X II 3x-9x are usually $200 - $225. No risk involved. It will work fine. If it don't, send it to Leupold for free repair.

$300 will buy lots of used Leupolds. In fact a new Leupold Mark AR is about $300.
  • Options
    CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to those of you that actually suggested/gave an opinion on good optics for the $ instead of the others usual +1'ing their post count with nothing important to say. I am looking seriously at the 3200 Elite. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    Used Leupold Vari X II 3x-9x are usually $200 - $225. No risk involved. It will work fine. If it don't, send it to Leupold for free repair.

$300 will buy lots of used Leupolds. In fact a new Leupold Mark AR is about $300.
    This is what I would do.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    qualified compliments are a backhanded way of saying something is not up to par without sounding like a dick. its really that simple. there are no exceptions to this. none.

adding things like "for the money", "for your age", "for a novice" etc means that the end result, whatever it is, doesnt measure up and thats what you want to say, but you want to say it in such a way that doesnt make you the bad guy. thats not the same thing as a compliment. its actually the opposite.

a "nice scope, for the money" isnt a nice scope. its a low end scope that happens to perform better than other low end scopes in its price range.
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Thanks to those of you that actually suggested/gave an opinion on good optics for the $ instead of the others usual +1'ing their post count with nothing important to say. I am looking seriously at the 3200 Elite. Thanks again!

Funny! This gave me a chuckle, I wonder who he is talking about????

There are quite a few mid priced "good" scopes out there including the Bushnell. I also have AR 10 with a 24" bull barrel. I put a Millet 30mm on it. I think it is 6x30 and it has side focus for under $250. They just had them on sale at Natchez. Its heavy but so is the rifle! Shoots 1" all day if i do my part.
    Or you can be snobbish and pay $1000+ to get the same results.
    As a Range Officer I've seen quite a few decked out rifles not perform any better than a simple Savage with a "cheap" Simmons scope!
    I've had good luck with a used Burris too!
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Hi-Lux Leatherwood series there are some excellent scopes in your upper price range. Take A hard look at their 3x10x42 trajectory range finding scope. It uses the same technology as the ART II scope and is nearly the same scope they used on the U.S. sniper rifles in Vietnam. You can buy these for a smigeon over your upper price range.

And scooterdriver this is not the place to up your post count. People have some serious questions and have only 10 replies to get an answer.
    You wasted one of them. If you don't have anything to add to the conversation keep your comments to yourself.