In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading 308 and 30-06 Ammunition

Ivan9686Ivan9686 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I am preparing to reload the subject ammunition and discovered that the 130 and 168 grain TSX 308 bullets I have slide into the commercial once fired brass from Weatherby Vanguards. I have reloaded 45-70 ammunition extensively using TSX bullets and have always found the used brass to be very snug fitting even before inserting into the die. Is this common and it will be corrected by the die or do I have a chamber issue with the two Weatherbys. Both have been fired less than 200 rounds and group sub MOA. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like your "once fired brass" needs to be completely resized.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not unusual for un-sized cases to loosely fit bullets. Neck sized only should fix them.
    Sub MOA is good shooting for hunting guns using factory ammo.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your 45-70 operates at far less pressure, so the casings are not going to expand as much, as the 308 or 30-06. Your resizing die will take care of the non problem for you.

I use the 130 grain TTSX(poly tipped), exclusively in my loads for the 308, and 30-06, for hunting everything, up to deer, and black bear.

Best
  • Options
    Ivan9686Ivan9686 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for putting my mind at ease.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullets are SUPPOSED to slip fit into a FIRED case neck.
    If they are tight, it shows you have an undersize chamber which is not good.
    Maybe your .45-70 is just not expanding fully like tsr says.