In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning BAR

redbull06redbull06 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
looking for replacement wood . any leads? numrich is out of stock.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning BAR in .243 Win. Serial #284XXM70 with grade II engraving, elk on one side, antelope on the other. The engraving is gold filled and I cannot find anything about this combination. I have own and observed many grade II BARs and have never seen the gold engraving. It is in like-new condition with only 24 rounds fired to date. Very minor handling marks if you look close. It also has a leupold M8-6X scope. My gun book does not refer to gold engraving in the grade II. It has a blued receiver/barrel.
    Thanks,
    redbull06
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok guys/ladies?..... i have had several BAR'S come into my shop for cleaning, repair, etc.
    in most instances they have quit firing semi due to the recoil buffer being gone, missing ,etc. only once have i taken one down and saw that it was cracked and replaced it. my question is...... where in the hell do those damn things go??? they are next to the receiver under the forend. do they just turn to dust, vaporize??? it is either in the correct position or not in the rifle at all?? sure would like to figure this one out.[B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not to sound stupid but does a BAR come in a left handed model
  • Options
    edited November -1
    is it legal to own a Browning Automatic rifle?
    Shadow62
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am hoping that someone here knows a lot more about Browning BAR Sporting Rifles than I do. My Uncle Don passed away earlier this year, leaving his gun collection to his wife. She has greater need for money than guns at this point. Everything else is gone except his Browning BAR. I will describe it as best I can, I hope someone can give me a good idea as to it's value. Most likely, it will go up on Auction soon.

The Details:
    Browning BAR, Cal. .270 Winchester
    Marked on left side of barrel "Made in Belgium"
    Serial number is "37XXM69" Of note here is that the "M" seems to be superimposed over another number, it looks like a "4", but the light was not good.

Appears to be a Grade II rifle, with scroll type engraving and a Stag head on the left side of the reciever, and a Hart head on the right. The trigger guard also has scroll engraving, as does the magazine floorplate.
    The rifle is equipped with iron sights, the front sight still has the shroud. The rear sight is a fold down dovetail type that is adjustable for elevation.
    The rifle also has a scope mount that is marked on the right front side with the Browning Trademark.
    The scope if marked "Herter's Inc." and Panoroamic 3-9x40. It is also marked with "No. JVIR36" which I assume is a serial number. The adjustment wheels are marked "Horizontal" and "Vertical" and are visible when looking at the scope from the left hand side of the rifle. The striking thing to me was the scope's rectical, which in addition to being very fine, also had rangefinding circles which were annotated with distance numbers, the smallest was marked "520". I was amazed at the clarity and quality of the sight picture. Even at night, I was able to descern a cat on a house roof about 120 yards distant. I hope the nieghbors didn't see me :)

I would put the overall condition of the rifle and finish at 95% MINIMUM. No observed rust, no observed scratches on any metal surface. One slight blemish on the left had side of the buttstock. Checkering is SHARP and distinct.

In terms of usage, My Aunt tells me that the rifle was used in the early to mid '70's, but as my Uncles health faded in that time, he stopped hunting. I can not say for sure, but I would guess that this rifle has not seen more than 40 rounds of ammo, EVER. Rifling is SHARP and DISTINCT!

Anybody want to take a stab at value? Anyone familiar with the Scope?

I would love to hear any details or trivia that you may want to share. My Aunt likes to hear about how her husband had good taste and bought quality stuff. It is one of the few things that makes her smile these days.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just purchased a Browning BAR 7mm and on the barrel it is marked made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. What would the reason be to send it to Portugal for assembly rather than assemble it in Belgium where it was made? Also any pros or cons on the BAR. As always any info is appreciated.
    Terrill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    got this BAR in the shop. here is my problem....
    the gas piston is STUCK in the cylinder. i have soaked it in kroil for a week,applied heat,tried two bolts with coupling nut to force it out, cussed, prayed and it is still STUCK. [:0]
    ANY SUGGESTIONS???
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if this applies to your rifle? But at one time a outfit sold a aftermarket kit for filling in the various engravings and markings on a rifle with gold.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That has crossed my mind also if it was an aftermarket thing. Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you tried asking Browning about it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did this afternoon, I was told it was made on March 30,1970, shipped to Brandon Sports in Brandon, WI. MSR $275.00. It was originally called the Deluxe semi-auto and since renamed BAR Grade II.
    The gold engraving was not a factory thing, some after market gold wash.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the gold was factory, it would be inlaid, and look like it was sculpted, and raised slightly above the steel of the receiver.. The gold wash is like a paint, and it would look like it was part of the engraving. You would be able to tell.

Is this rifle by chance a Belgian made rifle? The DOM, says yes, but what does the barrel say?

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is stamped "Made In Belgium" It is one beautiful piece.