In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 243

Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a Ruger 243 with 24" barrel, tang safety made in 1984. I have heard all kinds of rumors that Rugers have an accuracy problem and that the ones made before 1984 were the better rifles. My buddy has a 270 ruger that shoots well under MOA groups stock out of the box. It was made around 83-84. Can someone clear this up for me? Why are the older models supposed to be better? Any info on this rifle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gene

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifles are unique, some shoot better than other. If you reload for them they will usually shoot better. I have heard that new mini 14's shoot better than the old ones. Some sort of manufacturing process change.

Sometimes they change the twist rate 244/6mm 280/7mmExpress which can affect bullet choice.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger #1 rifles have a reputation of being tough to make into tackdrivers without spending a lot of time on the forearm attachment parts, and Mini-14's had and have a rep of not being as accurate as AR rifles...which is well desereved, they aren't. My M77RSI (.243) isn't a MOA gun, but it shoots the loads it likes as well as I can shoot the gun, so I'm happy with it.

As with any particular gun; you're going to have loads that shoot most accurately in it, and loads that shoot fair...and even some that absoluetly stink. Finding that (or those) great loads are half the fun....[:)]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Ruger 243 is much younger than yours, and shoots MOA out to 200+ IF I do my part. I am certainly the limiting factor. There are some rifles and other rifles. I see little evidence that older is better, since it does come with aches and pains.[:(]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There once was a time, when Ruger had barrel problems. I am not sure if they were outsourcing, and had no control over their quality, or if they were doing it in house, and on the learning curve, still.

I do believe they have traveled past that point, and have a 77-MKII, stainless, in 243, and it shoots really well.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:The newer Mini 14's will shoot side by side with an AR rifle.

The only person you are fooling, is yourself. But keep telling yourself that.

Best
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "There once was a time, when Ruger had barrel problems. I am not sure if they were outsourcing"...............Ruger bought the cheapest barrels they could find up untill the mid 1990's, they were 'hit & miss' (punt intended [:D]). Since they started making their oun barrels accuracy has been MUCH better.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience with Rugers, mostly the older 77s and #1s, is pretty much in line with the previous comments. Sometimes you'll get lucky and have an MOA rifle/bullet combination and sometimes you can barely keep them inside an eight inch plate. I couldn't see any reason why one was accurate and the next one wasn't. I suspect all could be improved with enough experimenting with various loads. My solution was to buy ones that looked good at the right price, shoot them, if they were accurate keep them. If not, they went to the next gun show. Still have several of those "keepers."
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The newer Mini 14's will shoot side by side with an AR rifle. The older ones were lucky to be minute of pie plate at 100 yards. I have a Mini-14 that is about two years old and it is every bit as accurate as my 20" barreled Bushmaster. Ruger made some engineering changes that seemed to have worked!