In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sig 229 Question

DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Are all three barrels interchangable. The 9mm, 40s&w and the 357 sig. Or, Is only the 40 and the 357 interchangable. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guy's I just bought a Sig 229 with nightsights, I finally took it out of the case when I got home, I was working the slide back, using the decocker, and dry firing it. Its like everytime I pull the trigger the hammer doesn't actually come in contact with the striker I haven't tried firing any live ammo as of yet, but it looks like it's sitting 2-3mm off of the striker itself. So I'm not entirely sure if it is actually hitting the striker or not. Sorry if this is a no brainer, this is my first Sig so I figured I would be better off asking kind of a nooby question then holding off on asking. As always input is GREATLY appreciated!!
  • Options
    45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Debarbarian,

Others probably come along to give you the in's-n-out's of the working mechanics of the 229 and decockifier giszmo, both which I know nothing about. (The latter reminds me too much of Red Adair's way of putting out oil well fires).

So, myself being a no-brain nooby in not knowing about such, here's what-- take a spent cartridge, smear a teeny bit of the ol' ladies fingernail polish on the used primer just to color it, allow to set up dry, then pull the trigger on it. Should show if a good contact strike was made.

EDIT Hawk-- much better idea. And true with the quicker than the eye contact, as I'd proved to myself on a (then) newer Savage falling block.
    45er
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig Sauers have rebounding hammers.
    They can hit the firing pin and rebound to a safe point faster than you can see.

You don't have to put fingernail polish in your gun to prove it.
    Just take a wooden pencil and drop it down the EMPTY barrel.
    Point the EMPTY (except for pencil) gun straight up and pull the trigger.
    Pull the pencil point out of the ceiling.
    Hmm. Maybe do it outside.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pull the trigger and old it, if you can push the hammer into the firing position, then yes, it's hitting the firing pin, then resetting back to a safe position.

Love those Sigs!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Sig Sauers have rebounding hammers.
    They can hit the firing pin and rebound to a safe point faster than you can see.

Awesome thanks for the Input, I figured it something like that, I just wasn't sure, I've never owned a gun that had a rebounding hammer. So again thanks for the input I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    cndrdkcndrdk Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drop a wooden pencil with eraser on end into the barrel (eraser in the barrel), point pistol up, then dry fire. If the pencil jumps, hammer is hitting the firing pin.