In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Takedown Rifle Case

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a Thompson Center TCR with two scoped barrels. I'm looking for a soft case that will carry both barrels and the stocked action when the rifle is broken down. Everything I've found thus far is either too big or doesn't allow for the scoped barrels to be slid into the sleeves. Boyt and Bagmaster make cases that are set up OK, but the sleeves for the barrels are too narrow to keep the scopes mounted. I want to keep the dedicated scopes, don't want to use detach rings either. The conventional (turn in) mounts are hard to find for this rifle but look best and I want to keep them.

The barrels, with scopes attached, are about 29" OAL.

Any suggestions on a case?

Comments

• Options
    45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dflectcher,

If no other lead comes up, I'd call either or both the two makers you mention-- both good products out of the Mid-west as you probably know. (Family knew Bob Allen). And see about a custom fit for your set-up?

If it's just the sleeves too narrow in a regularly made case, it wouldn't be too much effort for a company to accomadate, you sending them a paper or cloth template with measurements? Heck, maybe get your initials put on it, too.

45er
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug,

With that kind of $$ invested, I would seriously look into a takedown case for a shotgun...a HARD case, that is. I would look at one that is nod partitioned off into seperate compartments.

Sorry, that I cannot provide an answer for a soft case.

Best
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I'm looking into a few options to include a hard case. The gun travels in comfort, so to speak, and really doesn't require it though. Barrel sleeves in the soft case Bagmaster are 4" wide, about 1" too narrow to accomodate the scope. The fellow who does my shoe repairs also does leather and luggage, so there may be a fix with that or a Boyts.