In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

101st Airborne AK 47

Python308Python308 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
This AK-47 is one of a run of only 101 that were made for the legendary 101st airborne during Operation Enduring Freedom. These guns are all but incredibly hard to find, and I only have this one because my father gave it to me. You will never see another one. As you can see, the 101st unit crest are engraved on the receiver are both engraved on the receiver. My father?_Ts call sign and ?_oOperation Enduring Freedom 09-11?__ are carved into the stock, as this rifle was made in November of 2009 expressly so it could bear 09-11 on the stock. I also have the owner?_Ts manual which you can see from the picture was custom made for this series of rifles. The website at http://www.centuryarms.com/indexbdcf.html?page_id=201 has a picture and information about this AK if you are interested in viewing it. Just wondering what something like this would be worth if I tried to sell it. Would hate too but looking like its plausible given current finances. Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Python308Python308 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

Probably only to someone that was in the 101st airborne during Operation Enduring Freedom.....otherwise just another AK-47 to most...in my opinion.

Others may see it differently.

Pretty much how see it as well, that is also what numerous gun shops in the local area have said. But for the right person at the right time. Its kind of a collectors item I feel.
  • MrM1A1MrM1A1 Member Posts: 2,764 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Century AK is a Century AK....

The inscriptions are kinda cool, but like mentioned above, I only see that being a big deal to a select few.

It's still a Century.....[xx(]
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is like one of the Winchester commeratives made for a specific County's anniversary or a Ducks Unlimited Banquet auction 870...they appeal to those who belong to DU, or are steeped in a specific County's traditions and history...but to everyone else they're a decorated (insert make/model here) that costs a lot more for original buyer to obtain than a regular model would. (I see one DU 870 on GB now that allegedly "blue books" at 4k, but has no bids with a 1900 asking price.) And unless they're covered in gold or jewels they might go for less than the commeratives made for a larger historical person/event like a State or Country anniversary (larger pool of potential buyers) or a Theodore Roosevelt (major American history).

A working AK during recent times has increased in value so your commerative AK will generate some interest for the AK wanter, but I doubt that the commerative part will bring forth a crowd of folks wanting it strictly as a commerative and drive the price to the moon. With the gun ban currently dying and the nation turning to more pressing issues, I think that the heyday of mega prices will be passing sellers by, and the folks who got in on the bandwagon too late will be selling their overpriced guns at a loss.

Problem is, with a gun like the one you have, there's not much to compare it to. With any of the ultra-limited editions specifically tailor made to honor a person, group, club, or in this case an Army Division, a 1 cent start auction with no reserve will show exactly what todays value would be for it.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $1000 10 weeks ago
    $500 now
  • Python308Python308 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the insight!! Guess I may wait awhile before i throw it up yet