In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sellers shipping powder illegally?

zagnationzagnation Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
How are other sellers shipping gunpowder when they do not advertise the $27.50 hazmat fee and also do not disclose that they are 49 CFR certified? I see alot of sellers only charging 15 or 16 bucks for shipping and "discretely" sending the powder out without paying for all the hazmat fees. UPS charges $575 just for their training to obtain the 49 CFR license. Of which I have only seen one seller advertise that he has this certification. Do sellers really think it's worth the criminal charges and fines if something did happen in shipment? Anyone have any insight into this matter or experience with it? It makes it really hard to ship legally and compete with other sellers on price who blatantly disregard shipping laws.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only a matter of time until they get caught, and wind up in club fed with sugar bugger bubba as their cellmate. This will cause them to sincerely regret pissing the feds off.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Unless you're a shipper or a paid informant it probably doesn't concern you. What exactly does the hazmat fee pay for, a seat in the front?
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I remember when UPS started forcing handgun shippers to use Next Day Air. This was because too many handguns were being stolen BY THEIR EMPLOYEES. Words right out of their own mouths!

Hazmat shipping simply makes their goons pay a little (stress little) more attention to how they handle the package, and YOU get to pay for it!
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I said the same thing here about primers.. I see low prices for shipping on them and you know they are shipped illegally.. Guess its their problem when they get caught..
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since UPS is not a federally owned entity, like the USPS, it is my belief, that their regulations, are not LAW. They are their own anti-gun regulations, and subject to any who will obey. I do not condone bypassing the rules, by any means, but I do not see where the word ILLEGAL should come into play.

Best

EDIT 1

It is quite obvious, that neither the DOT, or UPS, have a clue what they are doing. They deem, powder, and primers, as hazardous material, while both of those two components, enshrined in a metallic case, like a grenade, is not. Just goes to show what I have said since day 1...those who have not the knowledge, should not be making the rules.

Best
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct in that UPS is not a Federally owned entity. However, there IS a Federal entity called the Dept of Transportation, and it darned sure has the ability to put teeth into the LAWS on shipping of hazardous materials by common carrier. Ask any trucker about what they can and can't do.

PS- reason that small quantities of loaded ammo are not HAZMAT, but primers on their own ARE HAZMAT- loaded ammo has the additional mass of the brass and bullet to absorb energy- and there is not a hazard of mass detonation. However, if ONE primer in a pack goes SPROING, it is likely the entire pack does the same.

DOT actually tests items for mass detonation, and determines if it can be shipped as consumer goods, HAZMAT, or not at all. Yep- some things too touchy to ship by common carrier. Have watched the video of some of the tests- they lose a few video cameras...
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I still suspect hazmat fees are as much a profit maker as anything else.
  • Options
    Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That seller(shipper) could be charged with with holding information,
    leading to the indangerment or safty of others.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    I still suspect hazmat fees are as much a profit maker as anything else.

YEP!! another racket=
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If you have document proof that someone is engaging in anything illegal then contact customer support and make them aware of it.