In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1897 Winchester - Antique question

capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Different sites have conflicting numbers. What is the pre-1899 antique cutoff date for the 1897 shotgun?

Comments

• mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mango tango
    This might get you in the ballpark!
    http://proofhouse.com/win/winchester.htm

No, it does not... the information on Proofhouse it grossly inaccurate[xx(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by capgun
    Different sites have conflicting numbers. What is the pre-1899 antique cutoff date for the 1897 shotgun?

Capgun,

Serial number 63867 is antique, 63868 is not.
  • capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I wish proofhouse and the other sites would get their facts straight.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by capgun
    Thanks. I wish proofhouse and the other sites would get their facts straight.

There are at least two websites out there that are working on it. I provided corrected information to them late last year, with the promise that they would update their websites with it. You can also get the correct information from Chapter 8 in "The RED BOOK of WINCHESTER Values" co-written by yours truly.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert-Is that really you[:0] Expected a guy in his 80's with all the ACCURATE info you post. Keep on keeping on. Your info to all here is invaluable. While am at it-Is a "solid frame (Mfg. date 1923-1924) any more valuable than a comparable "take down'/ MOD. 97?
    edited November -1
    Nope, I am not anywhere near 80... yet. In fact, I am now in my mid 50s.

A late production Solid frame Model 97 is actually worth slightly less than an otherwise identical Take Down.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:There are at least two websites out there that are working on it.
    Which ones? Maybe some prodding by a few thousand gun forum members could make them work a little faster. Just sayin. [:)]