In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help from a FFl holder needed

brummiejimbrummiejim Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hi. I have an unusual situation and need help from a FFL holder in the Philadelphia area. My niece, who lives in Aston, Pa., a south suburb of Philadelphia, is trying to send to me a Remington shotgun that was owned by her father, my older brother, who passed away. She cannot find a FFL dealer in her area who will do the paperwork necessary to send the gun to me. She has been turned down by several dealers. I live in California, Los Angeles suburbs. They tell her it's too much paper work to ship a gun here. I don't know if my state is that bad or she's getting * around? If any one reading this is a FFL holder or knows of one in her area who will ship a pretty plain vanilla gun here, I'd appreciate the information. I have a FFL dealer in my area ready to receive the gun. If this is not the correct Forum to use, please let me know where I should post this. Many thanks Jim

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Go to GunBroker home page look at BUYER and then at FIND AN FFL. this will ask you for zip code and give you a list of GunBroker friendly FFL dealers Contact one in your Niece's area and see if they will work with both Niece and your FFl
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sending FFL dealer needs to comply with the CA "CFLC" program - it's not complicated, but it is another step and some FFLs don't want to do it.

If your niece sends the gun directly to a CA FFL she does not need to do the CFLC. It is perfectly legal for a non-FFL to mail a gun to an FFL in another state, including CA. You just need to ensure you have a CA FFL who will accept a firearm sent by a non-FFL and if so, what sort of documentation they might require.

If your niece is able to mail directly she should send through a UPS shipping hub - not a UPS Store". I've shipped via FedEx and UPS. UPS seems to handle things better, FedEx every once in a while goes "OMIGOD it's a gun!!" crazy once in a while.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Doug says, your niece can send it directly to a FFL in CA, who will accept it from a non-FFL. Better hurry, as regs are going to tighten up. Being the good uncle, you should find that transfer dealer in CA, for her to ship it to.

If UPS is too much of a pain, she can send it thru the USPS, post office. Yes, shipping charges will be a bit more, but it might be a bit easier to access.

Best

EDIT 1

USPS will be $50.00, or more, because of the oversized package, and insurance. UPS would be cheaper, but not worth the hassle.

Best
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cheapest way to ship is via USPS, a private citizen can ship a long gun to an FFL via the Post Office. I would have her invest in a cheap single rifle case, under 20 bucks at a Big 5 or some such sporting goods store to protect the gun. I typically put all the paper work inside the case and them run baling wire through the lock slots with duct tape over that. Ship it via Priority Mail with insurance, probably cost around 15 or 20 bucks. Make sure there is nothing on the outside that says its a firearm (Their rules !) and you are good to go.

Most FFL's will receive from a private citizen with identification, drivers license or such, and shipping it via USPS is probably about a third of the cost with less hassle than going UPS or FedEx.

Dan R
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Posted - 03/28/2013 : 6:57:14 PM

As Doug says, your niece can send it directly to a FFL in CA, who will accept it from a non-FFL. Better hurry, as regs are going to tighten up. Being the good uncle, you should find that transfer dealer in CA, for her to ship it to.

If UPS is too much of a pain, she can send it thru the USPS, post office. Yes, shipping charges will be a bit more, but it might be a bit easier to access.

Best

EDIT 1

USPS will be $50.00, or more, because of the oversized package, and insurance. UPS would be cheaper, but not worth the hassle.

Best

Hard case shipped in factory box is excellent idea. I would remove barrel from action and buy an appropriately shorter hard case to avoid oversize posstage.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UPS is easy just find the brown truck and hand it to the driver. They are in the same spot /same time every day schedules are like clockwork
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have her send it to herself in care of you, USPS taken down in a short care.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not know CA law, but if this is an ordinary firearm that you INHERITED, Federal law permits the executor of the estate to ship the gun to you without going thru a FFL. This is one of the rare exceptions to the "FFL when transferring across a state line" rule.

Title 18, US Code, Section 922 (a) (3)- It shall be unlawful...
    (3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

And yes, it is legal to send an unloaded shotgun by US Mail.

CA FFLs are welcome to comment on my ignorance of CA law.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrs102
    Posted - 03/28/2013 : 6:57:14 PM

Best

EDIT 1

Best

Hard case shipped in factory box is excellent idea. I would remove barrel from action and buy an appropriately shorter hard case to avoid oversize posstage.

I consider any carton that displays a gun case and weighs more than an empty case ought to weigh to be an invitation to theft.
    If the case carton is to be reused paint it with a cheap can of Brown spray paint.

I much prefer my method, but most folks don't have access to large sheets of flat cardboard as I do. I simply cover the gun case carton with another layer of cardboard. Also aids in stiffening the carton.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Inheriting the gun is one thing. The daughter inheriting it and giving it to you is another matter. If it is going to CA I would make sure that all i's are dotted and t's crossed.

Even though it is legal and within postal regulations for an unlicensed person to mail the gun to an ffl dealer, many postal clerks don't know that. Be prepared for a hassle at the post office.