In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 27-2 vs S&W 629 no dash

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
I am hoping to hear opinions from Smith&Wesson collectors as to which of these models has more value as a collector piece.
Both guns Im looking at are mint without boxes.
The 27-2 is blued with the rare 5in barrel.
The 629 no dash is a 8 3/8 incher.
The 629 is pinned & recessed as is the 27-2.
Thank you.

EDIT:
The 5in. 27 sold at a price that was too much for me($1550).
Im still interested in the 8 3/8in.629.
I have found out these no dash models were the only 629s which were pinned & recessed.
I plan to shoot it alot if I can get the gun for a fair price.
Im not sure if the P&R features add to its value much.
what would be a fair offer?
He is at $925.

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion the 27 would be a more collectible gun given the barrel length and the fact they are no longer made. Besides, they are prettier than 629's.

My 27's......
    IMG_3222.jpg
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for the 27-2. But buy both if the price is right; keep the 27-2 as a "collector" and shoot the 629.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is six of one, and a half dozen of the other. There were more of the 27-2's made than the 629, that is pinned and recessed. However, I too, would give the edge to the 27-2...but only if I could not have both...[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my 27-2 last may for $325+tax so about $355. Its a 8 3/8" barrel in very good condition with only some holster wear on the muzzle. I looked at some completed auctions here and found that I got it for about market value [at the time]. Theres lots of 27-2 smiths out there. With a 5" barrel maybe that would make a significant difference? Finding a 629 in that condition for that price is dreaming. But finding anything for that price right now is not going to happen. I sold an old 38 special model 10 for $400. Never thought it would be worth that!
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I'm going to agree with Joe, in my opinion the 27-2 is worth more.
    W.D.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5" inch--no pro brainer
  • Options
    crisisbillcrisisbill Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 27-2 no doubt, it is a classic well made gun that has held and increased in value over the years, plus having it as. 5" is a real plus.
    I have collected S&W wheel guns since about 1973 and that 5" 27-2 would find a place in my stable very quickly.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    another vote for the 27 especially with the 5" barrel
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the Model 27.

FYI, 5" barrels on these revolvers are not rare Desireable, yes, and that makes them a good investment, but not rare. S&W made a lot of them.
  • Options
    tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your comments.
    Is $925 high for a P&R 629 no dash 8 3/8in.?