In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Quick Sig 229 Question

DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭
edited March 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hey guy's I have another quick Sig 229 Question, I know there are a few different brands of mags available for the 229, the main one I saw was produced by a company called Mec-Gar I'm just wondering if those mags are any good or if they're just cheap like Pro-Mag? My gun came with 2 12 rounder's, but it would be nice to have 4 or 5 more, obviously can't get them through GB because some are listed at $110 which is pretty ridiculous, so I'm trying to find something that'll work that's not just a cheap POS until this frenzy cools down and I can get actual Sig mags.

Comments

• Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mec-gar are good mags.I have several,never had a bad one.

What caliber,9mm,357sig,40s&w?
  • Options
    DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you know where I might be able to find them in stock, and not marked up to $75-100 It would be greatly appreciate!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of "actual Sig mags" ARE MecGars. They get a lot of business for OEM magazines from many gun companies.

Sorry, we are still in The Panic and I know of no place to buy stuff at pre-panic prices.
  • Options
    NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1
    quote:A lot of "actual Sig mags" ARE MecGars. They get a lot of business for OEM magazines from many gun companies.

Mecgar makes some of the best mags. And like above they make OEM mags for many gun makers including Sig, Kimber, and S&W M&Ps among others. I have mecgars for my Sig 228. I did a quick look around and could find nothing. Start with Midway, Botach, The Armory, and Cal's sport. Try others too. I bought my 15rd stainless for my sig for $25, but now they are all around $35 and sold out. You may have to wait just like all of us! Or pay a premium to get it now.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mecgar are the good ones
    better than sig usa
    promag is crap
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Mec-Gar produces the factory item for many major pistol manufacturers and are quality stuff, whether marked with their own name or a pistol company's.

They were SIG's long time contracted manufacturer of their factory mags, which had a strong reputation for high and consistent quality. They're now made by Checkmate, which is the same contractor who produces the Beretta M9's problematic USGI mags.

The issue is that a few years ago SIG hired Kimber's former CEO to run their company. During his time there he made so many cost saving, corner cutting changes that those pistols went from being known as high quality handguns to just another crap-shoot 1911 clone.

As an indication, when a LE agency orders pistols from SIG they're still shipped with Mec-Gar magazines due to complaints of issues with the Checkmate items.

Sadly, this bean-counter seems to be on the road to also destroying SIG's long standing reputation for quality products.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,355 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Mec-Gar produces the factory item for many major pistol manufacturers and are quality stuff, whether marked with their own name or a pistol company's.
    This is my understanding also. I have many for my Ruger p-85, and none have ever missed a lick.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I, too, use Mec-Gars and am very happy with them. You might try CDNN in Texas, they seem to have a good supply of most types of mags, at least according to their fliers.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hdcolt51
    Mec-gar are good mags.I have several,never had a bad one.

What caliber,9mm,357sig,40s&w?

I have a few Sigs and have always had great luck with the Mec-Gar as well, on the Sig 226 9mm, the mag holds 18 and is flush with the stock mag, love it!