In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Mod 1922 Help

Big Cedar IdahoBig Cedar Idaho Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have just acquired a Browning Model 1910 or 1922 7.65 PISTOL basket case. The barrel and spring is installed in the Slide incorrectly. I am unable to rotate the Slide Extension apparently due to the the Extension Catch not disengaging from its' indent. The Extension will rotate a couple of degrees and will not go any more even with a large amount of force. I am stumped and any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might try removing the slide assembly off the frame first.

Make sure pistol is unloaded, remove magazine.

Pull slide back and and engage safety catch in first notch in slide.

Rotate barrel counter clockwise until it frees itself from the lugs in the frame.

Releasing safety catch will hopefully enable barrel and slide to be removed from front of frame.

Once the slide assembly and frame is separated, you might have better luck removing the slide extension?

The ones I've worked on in the past used a mating bayonet lug on the slide and slide extension. Pressure had to be maintained on the front of the slide extension as it's rotated counterclockwise. This is with the spring loaded catch pushed all the way forward.

If the extension retaining catch is jammed soak the whole slide assembly in Kroil and try to get it to release by tapping it at a angle with a small diameter brass drift punch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will try.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So it sounds like you have TWO problems: a stuck barrel extension, and an improperly installed barrel.

Rufe-snow's suggestions for removing the slide first should work to free the slide, but I doubt that it will help with the extension.

The extension needs to rotate 90 degrees to release from the internal lugs that hold it. If the catch is not cleanly aligned in its slot in the extension it will be difficult to retract fully forward. It must be fully forward in order to allow the extension to rotate. If you have a bent catch (perhaps as a result of applying a large amount of force) then try rotating the extension in the opposite direction. I have several FN 1922s and a couple of them have worn extension catches that are finicky.
    Here are two links that might be helpful.
    Exploded diagram: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Browning-33164/AutoPistols-35558/1922-34859.htm
    Take down: http://www.olarmyjoel.com/Virtual%20Arms%20Room/browning%201922.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Big Guy, Thanks a mil, your info corrected my problem. Keep up the good work helping us.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm more than glad to be able to help Big Cedar. You just made my day!