In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Animal Specific Ammunition

Ivan9686Ivan9686 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
What is your experience on the effectiveness of using animal specific ammunition such as Winchester's Whitetail and Razorback or Remington's Hog Hammer? I used the Whitetail in 30-06 and found that it destroyed too much meat on South Texas whitetails unless you used a head shot. It did plant them in place however with a heart/lung shot. I have not used the two designed for feral hogs yet and wonder if they're worth the expense. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only "animal" specific stuff I have is some 50s vintage wooden bullet Israeli training ammo in 762x51 - I'm ready for vampires any day!

That said, there is nothing wrong with the core-lockt, or just plain old JHP or JSP or whatever that have been killing deer, hogs, etc. for a hundred years.

You've been had by the marketing department....
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington's Hog Hammer, uses the Barnes TSX ammunition. It will do superbly on deer.

Remember, that if you choose to shoot a deer or any other animal ON the shoulder, that when the shoulder is shattered, it will ruin a lot of meat. Just like when someone punches you real hard in the arm, and your arm turns black-n-blue. Yes, a shoulder shot can be used to try to anchor, and disable game, which I have seen it work, and not work, but you are going to destroy meat.

Hunt in NY, we have bigger deer![:D][:D][:D]

Best
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    marketing, MaRkEtInG, MARKETING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There is no such thing as "animal specific" ammo. There are bullets designed for "classes of game" such as light thin skinned, heavy thick skinned, and dangerous game that bites back. There are also some very compromising bullets that offer expansion with deep penetration which can span a wide variety of game sizes/types.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    round-nose .30-30 has been working fine for over 100 years. Animal specific is marketing. Bullets are no doubt fine, but other boxes will work as well. Shoot the ammo that your rifle likes best.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several years ago Remington apparently made a deal with Bass Pro Shops and named some of its plain-Jane core-lokt ammo "Whitetail Pro" and used an orange/green box with a deer on it instead of the yellow-green box. This was all common caliber stuff (.243, .270, .308, 7mm mag, .30-30 etc..) that a lot of hunters use for whitetail deer. (In fact, I think it might have even been a dollar or two cheaper a box than regular yellow/green..but don't quote me on that) I bought a lot of it at Bass Pro in various calibers and found it works exactly as I expected the yellow/green ammo to work.

It's marketing to a segment of the hunting/shooting world. "New box art, new excitement."

Now the Razorback loads are a bit different, in that it's not a rebranded product but one with a newly-designed all-copper bullet for the .308 and .223 that was (allegedly) intended for tough wild boar hunting. The advertising stuff I've seen includes the nickel cases for reliable feeding, etc. shows that Razorback's marketed to the semi-auto Ar-15/Ar-10 hog hunter first. (Of course they'll work in bolt, other semis, pumps, etc..) I have not used it on a boar however.

On a side note, I replaced all 300 of the 15-year-old .223 Federal 68 gr Match JHP that I had loaded in my defense gun's magazines recently with the 62 gr Razorback loads. It sure cost me a few $$, but I've shot a few of the bullets at some barriers and found them to be dang good at doing what I want them to do if the chips are down.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bullet placement is the important factor.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Bullets selected for their expansion characteristics that meet the needs of disrupting the animals vital organs is what's needed. In this regard, there are about five bullet constructions that will provide the performance for any animal on Earth, from field mouse to Elephant. Labeling by the name of the intended animal is just so much hoo-rah.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Two of the most reliable bullets ever produced, are the Remington Core-Lokt and the Winchester Power-Point. They are also among the lowest cost. They have been loaded into those maker's bread-and-butter ammunition for longer than most people can remember, and have done well. If they didn't work, they would have fallen into disfavor a long time ago. Granted, there are people who like to reload their ammunition - or to buy it already loaded for them - with bullets that cost five times as much, but if anyone wants to live in that world, they are entitled. Most of the hyper-expensive stuff involves only the extreme to which a bullet can be marketed.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't tried the two types in question.

But without having tried them, I can tell you that probably 85%+ of the hunting type ammo sold in the USA is designed for medium sized game including whitetail deer and will work perfectly fine to take them down. It doesn't need to say "deerslayer" on the box for this to be true. Its also not clear to me how "special deer" ammo is any different than 20 other brands that are also meant for deer but just don't say so in the product name.

I can also tell you that ANY bullet that's good for a whitetail, is going to be plenty good on a variety of other animals of similar weight/size, including antelope, goats, sheep, black bear, yes and even most hogs.

If you're talking about African elephants which are a sort of unique type of game, then maybe you *DO* want an "elephant specific" load, but in the case of whitetail deer, there is quite a bit of stuff that can work.

Echoing what's already been said, the main thing is putting the bullet where its supposed to go. If you can do that, you can humanely take a hog or deer with a pretty wide variety of bullet types. If you can't put the shot were it needs to go, there is no "magic" bullet that's going to help you.

Ultimately, the differences in bullet design mostly come down to how fast the bullet opens up and how much weight they retain along the way.

To the extent that it matters, what you want is bullet expansion matched to your particular game animal. Bullets designed for really small game will fragment or explode quickly in large game, and not make a good wound channel. Conversely, bullets designed for large game won't open up quickly enough in smaller game, again wasting most of their potential.

Anything more than that, IMO is mostly academic.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Several years ago I conducted some research for an article in Handloaders Digest (see Some 30s & how they hit). The bullets tested were those intended for big game (not varmints or dangerous) mostly 180 gr with a few 165s. The data showed that if the bullet had an impact velocity of up to 2700 fps that the conventional bullets (CoreLokt, PowerPoint, Nosler Solid Base, SpirePoint, Sierra, Speer, etc performed very well. Only when velocities exceeded standard and the impact would have amounted to close range (3000 fps) did the stresses on the bullet exceed the bullets integrity. The bullet that really shown in the testing of the conventionals was the Speer MagTip, but it doesn't have the hype of the more expensive bullets so it tends to be overlooked by the writers of the printed page.
  • Options
    Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    Several years ago I conducted some research for an article in Handloaders Digest (see Some 30s & how they hit). The bullets tested were those intended for big game (not varmints or dangerous) mostly 180 gr with a few 165s. The data showed that if the bullet had an impact velocity of up to 2700 fps that the conventional bullets (CoreLokt, PowerPoint, Nosler Solid Base, SpirePoint, Sierra, Speer, etc performed very well. Only when velocities exceeded standard and the impact would have amounted to close range (3000 fps) did the stresses on the bullet exceed the bullets integrity. The bullet that really shown in the testing of the conventionals was the Speer MagTip, but it doesn't have the hype of the more expensive bullets so it tends to be overlooked by the writers of the printed page.

Is there any way of reading your article on the internet? Thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Manoa-Fisherman

Is there any way of reading your article on the internet? Thank you.
    [/quote]

It would be a little crude, but I can scan the article from the book & post it here or to a different site, if you like. I have a hunter education class that I'm co-teaching today through Saturday & I'm pretty remedial at scanning/posting things, so it may be a couple days before I get it figured out. (I'm a lot better with steel& wood, and brass & lead than I am with scanners and computers).