In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

black powder repro revolvers

Farmer BrownFarmer Brown Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
I've got a hankerin' for a Civil War repro revolver. I don't want to buy junk, but also don't want to overpay for like quality.

From what I can gather, the Uberti's are probably top of the line. What about some of the other Italian names? Any to stay away from, and any good-to-go?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My suggestion is that you get a 2nd or 3rd generation Colt percussion revolver. They are built from Italian castings, but they were assembled under Colt Supervision and/or license and have all of the original Colt markings and no foreign proof marks.
    Their fit, finish and accuracy are far superior to any of the Italians.
    Ifw you are looking just for a shooter, try to find a used one.
    Yes, 2nd and 3rd generation Colts are more expensive than their Italian counterparts, but they are worth every penny!
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    The Second Generation Colt "C" series were actually assembled at the Colt Hartford, Ct. factory from 1971-1973. The first ones were the 1971 Grant and Lee commemorative models.

Here's a nice one with all of the correct Colt-marked accessories, which are nearly impossible to find separately:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=334481761

pix088393757.jpg
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If having a exact replica isn't important to you don't rule out the Ruger Old Army this one is mine they also make it in stainless

[img][/img]001_zps835762cb.jpg
    [img][/img]pix550411681-1.jpg
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to Uberti, I have some made by Pietta. Both are very nice quality and shoot well. You won't go wrong buying from either.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From a purely shooting standpoint, the Ruger Old Army is the best. As stated earlier, the Second and Third Generation Colts are as good as it gets. The Third Generation are usualy cheaper and if you can find one that has been shot and well cared for it would be your best deal for a shooter. NIB examples bring a premium and are not worth it for you to buy and shoot.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to shoot and hit anything with a cap and ball revolver stick to the Remington or the Ruger. The stainless ones don't shoot as well.
  • Options
    centerfiremancenterfireman Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do the stainless ones shoot less well? (Just curious). I have a blued Old Army which is very accurate and reliable.