In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sacage 219/220

shootaskbshootaskb Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a Savage, no serial number or model on the frame, two barrels with forearms; and the 22 Hornet BBl.says md. 220, the other bbl. and forearm are in 410 and say md. 219.
I have seen that the old Savage frames could accommodate these other model barrels. What say you?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As kid we had a 22 Hornet Savage single shot. Bubba had work it over and easy opening was not a feature. The Savage 22 LR over a 410 I learned to pass shoot doves with is still in the family.

Back in the late 70's I had an H&R 20 gauge 22 Hornet set that shared the same forearm. As a 20 it was nice to carry but that Horned barrel was extra heavy.
  • Options
    shootaskbshootaskb Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THis might be that same gun! It opens hard too!
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If memory serves me right, the 219 was the shotgun and the 220 whas the rifle which coresponds whith what you have. They were also availabe with both barrels as a combination. You could get 12, 16, 20 and .410 shotgun and .22 Hornet, .30-30, .25-35, and I have heard of .22 long rifle but it was not cataloged and I have never seen one. There were two or three variations depending on when they were made. Barrel interchangeability between the vaviations will not work and within the same variation may require some fitting if you try to swithch barrels on your frame. I had several over the years and am down to one .22 Hornet now. They are hunting guns, not target guns and accuracy is fine for hunting. They have some following among selected collectors. The .22 Hornet and .30-30 seem to be the most common. Never did find a .25-35 myself. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As my old mind recalls, slumlord is about right. I've had several over the years and, unfortunately, all are gone. I had a 20 ga but I know they were made in other gauges. I had rifles in 22 Hornet (I wish I had this one back) and 30-30. I know they were also made in 25-20 and 32-20, not too sure about the 25-35. I think he's backwards on the model numbers, with the 219 being the rifle and the 220 the shotgun, but I would NOT bet my house on it. They were a nice little gun, hammerless, and shot pretty decent. I never screwed around with them as far as drilling, tapping and scoping them, but they shot decent with the open sights. If you Google "Savage 219" you'll get a ton of info.
    yooper
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 219 is the rifle. I looked it up. .25-20 and .32-20 are correct. 221 was .30030, 12 guage combo. 222 was .30-30, 16 guage combo. 223 was .30-30, 20 guage combo. 227 was .22 Hornet, 12 guage combo. 228 was .22 Hornet, 16 guage combo. 229 was .22 Horned, 20 guage. The 219L with side lever opening was listed for 1965-1967.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 219B in .22 Hornet and found a 30-30 barrel at a gun show that required no fitting. Then I bought a 16 gauge barrel with polychoke from Numrich that required a lot of fitting. The small diameter rifle firing pin is prone to breakage so find a spare or two. I also removed the ejector spring to keep from losing the little Hornet cases...
  • Options
    Lucky007Lucky007 Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The previous post reply is correct; The 219 is the rifle and the 220 is the shotgun. I had a beautiful 30-30 barrel with rifle barrel sized forearm and a matching 20 gauge barrel with correct forearm that were matched to a 219 frame. I had it for about 10 years and when I went to sell it last month I couldn't find a buyer. It sold eventually at a local gun show but several listings on GunBroker and other web sites failed to find a buyer. Everyone must be banking their money in AR-15's I guess. The rifle was extremely accurate and the actions are pretty robust for when they were made...it cocks on opening the action so that's why it seems hard to break open. Great under appreciated rifle.
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my main collections.I have 2 28ga,A WW11 22hornet marked with flameing bomb my rarest.have most other cal.and gages and sets.tks.hedge.[:D]
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lucky007
    The previous post reply is correct; The 219 is the rifle and the 220 is the shotgun. I had a beautiful 30-30 barrel with rifle barrel sized forearm and a matching 20 gauge barrel with correct forearm that were matched to a 219 frame. I had it for about 10 years and when I went to sell it last month I couldn't find a buyer. It sold eventually at a local gun show but several listings on GunBroker and other web sites failed to find a buyer. Everyone must be banking their money in AR-15's I guess. The rifle was extremely accurate and the actions are pretty robust for when they were made...it cocks on opening the action so that's why it seems hard to break open. Great under appreciated rifle.

Think I saw one of your listings but had no $ at the time.
  • Options
    Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At one time I had over 40 trying for a complete set.
    the SAVAGE 219 Rifle and 220 Shot GUN was made from 1938 until 1946.